Android Music Players!
Jun 7, 2012 at 7:45 PM Post #32 of 53
I think it's crazy how popular poweramp is. I highly suspect that it being the first result for most audio program searches has a lot to do with it. Honestly, I don't EQ, and I personally think that a good audio encoding and a pair of iems that suite that person ...there's not a need for EQing, but everyone is different I suppose and it is a personal preference. I am sad that there's a lack of dithering too.

As far as neutron, my only "feature wish" would be able to choose a default home screen within the app itself. I never use the middle screen and exclusively use the file explorer to choose albums, and use two of neutrons Widgets on my android homescreen that displays the art, progression bar and time, and controls. So for anyone that uses neutron and hates the interface, you may check out the Widgets for it.

Jun 9, 2012 at 3:06 PM Post #34 of 53
Please stay away from the JetAudio app,...they removed the main draw for it - BBE. It appears that there's a licensing issue with the tech. 

Jun 10, 2012 at 6:13 PM Post #35 of 53
Quote:
Please stay away from the JetAudio app,...they removed the main draw for it - BBE. It appears that there's a licensing issue with the tech. 

Yeah, as I originally mentioned on a post on this forum.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/613595/jetaudio-plus-finally-released

Jun 10, 2012 at 9:19 PM Post #36 of 53
Quote:
Yeah, as I originally mentioned on a post on this forum.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/613595/jetaudio-plus-finally-released

Um, I know that. I mentioned it because I recommended the JetAudio app earlier on in the thread. I was making sure, since Cowon removed the BBE, that people avoid the app now. 
wink_face.gif

Jun 23, 2012 at 1:14 AM Post #37 of 53
  Late to the party but i reckon for sound quality only, the Neutron player is killer..

Smashes Power Amp and all the others but it is fiddly to use and eschews some of
  the niceties of other apps... 

Jun 23, 2012 at 7:28 AM Post #39 of 53
Mainly use rockbox myself. Browsing by folder with Rockbox works well. Another plus is the ability to fairly easily make playlists and more importantly, edit them from windows using notepad (they are simple m3u8 files) if I feel like working on a bigger screen. The playlists can also easily be backed up. On top of that, it has bookmarking which is a good feature, although I mainly need that feature for spoken word for which I found a better app (see below).

I use the latest rockbox builds from Rasher's page which was linked elsewhere on this thread. Incidentally I use "smart audiobook player" for any spoken word recordings.

Jun 23, 2012 at 4:40 PM Post #41 of 53
Quote:
I voted PowerAmp, but I use that and Rockbox equally on my Android player.

Well, now I'll be able to try out Winamp too.  Bought it a while back and it never would work right on my Galaxy 5.0, but I installed it on my Atrix today along with PowerAmp and Rockbox.

Jul 24, 2012 at 1:19 PM Post #42 of 53
Great thread. Thanks for starting it. Only one comment on these apps vs. Voodoo? Tempted to root and run Voodoo but thought if there was a program that would do as much sq-wise it might be worth buying vs. throwing away my phone's warranty.

Jul 25, 2012 at 4:54 AM Post #43 of 53
Quote:
Great thread. Thanks for starting it. Only one comment on these apps vs. Voodoo? Tempted to root and run Voodoo but thought if there was a program that would do as much sq-wise it might be worth buying vs. throwing away my phone's warranty.

on the galaxy s, voodoo upgrade was more noticeable sq-wise than switching between different players, just go for it

Jul 25, 2012 at 12:54 PM Post #44 of 53
Quote:

on the galaxy s, voodoo upgrade was more noticeable sq-wise than switching between different players, just go for it

agreed.  you can always go back, but i haven't heard anyone ever wanting to.  Supercurio's contributions really are night and day!

On topic:  I happen to be one of the weirdo minorities still stuck on the stock music player...  For me it's really a UI thing.  Sound quality is superb (post-voodoo) on my Vibrant (Galaxy S1 variant) using zero EQ or effects.  Not that the stock player's UI is perfect, but everything else I've tried in operation comes off as clunky or slow. 

If they would just (A) make deleting tracks on the fly while listening possible and (B) a 2-step operation (press or gesture a delete action, then get a confirmation), I think the stock player it would be perfect from a UI perspective.  PowerAMP does those things quite well, granted.

EDIT: This thread inspired me to give it another shot and I've now fully converted over to PowerAMP. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back