Android memory capacity. Figures?
Feb 21, 2011 at 10:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

gorman

1000+ Head-Fier
I'm investigating Android phones because I would like to ditch my iPod Touch and iPhone 3GS, substituting them with a single gadget. I was optimistic, considering that several Android phones support SD cards, but as I investigate I discover that there are serious limitations. I hoped there was something like a 32GB built in memory + 32GB SD card. But I can't find it... 

Feb 21, 2011 at 10:47 AM Post #2 of 13
Aside from the capacity problem, you should know that my android phone - an HTC magic (it's old, i know) - has absolutely horrible SQ with huge amounts of noise even at low volumes. And i suspect other android phones of having the same problem (though perhaps not as badly as mine). So unless you're planning on somehow using a DAC (or maybe just bypassing the internal amp is enough?), you should definitely look into this aspect as well.

Feb 21, 2011 at 11:22 AM Post #3 of 13
Thanks aajohan, much appreciated. It's really saddening that we can't have a current version of Rockbox on current hardware and good capacity. In a phone. I understand dedicated hardware but, really, iPhone and iPod Touch are really redundant. If only Apple released a 64 GB iPhone and stopped being so close-minded as to its business strategy...

Feb 21, 2011 at 4:22 PM Post #4 of 13

Quote:
Thanks aajohan, much appreciated. It's really saddening that we can't have a current version of Rockbox on current hardware and good capacity. In a phone. I understand dedicated hardware but, really, iPhone and iPod Touch are really redundant. If only Apple released a 64 GB iPhone and stopped being so close-minded as to its business strategy...

1. iPhone 4 is available in 64GB version.
2. There is Rockbox for Android.
3. Do not compare your old phone with the newest Android phones as the technological leap was really big since your Magic was released and it was never even intended to be a high-end device.
4. Go to GSMArena.com and use Phone Finder to find phones by memory capacity.
5. Battery life is a killer for me when it comes to using a phone as a DAP as my Sony Walkman player is able to play for almost 30 hours which an Android phone will never achieve and thus I will keep using a dedicated DAP instead of an all-in-one solution.

Feb 21, 2011 at 8:04 PM Post #6 of 13

3. Do not compare your old phone with the newest Android phones as the technological leap was really big since your Magic was released and it was never even intended to be a high-end device.
5. Battery life is a killer for me when it comes to using a phone as a DAP as my Sony Walkman player is able to play for almost 30 hours which an Android phone will never achieve and thus I will keep using a dedicated DAP instead of an all-in-one solution.
http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_iphone/family/iphone?mco=OTY2ODA2OQ no iPhone 4 64 GB if I'm not mistaken...

I know about Rockbox for Android, it's a big part of why I started investigating. Also, I don't own a Magic, I have an iPhone 3GS.

Feb 22, 2011 at 10:24 AM Post #7 of 13

Quote:
Quote:

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_iphone/family/iphone?mco=OTY2ODA2OQ no iPhone 4 64 GB if I'm not mistaken...

I know about Rockbox for Android, it's a big part of why I started investigating. Also, I don't own a Magic, I have an iPhone 3GS.

Sorry about the mistake.

Try looking at the top end Android devices and if you find nothing at this point wait a few moments and some new handsets should be released soon.

Feb 22, 2011 at 7:24 PM Post #8 of 13
The best you can do on Android is the Galaxy S Series. There really isn't anything 64GB yet, best you could do is maybe the Captivate 16GB + 32GB card if it even supports it. I'd check xda-developers for that. 

I wouldn't bother with any HTC phone, the sound quality is garbage. I'm finding that there isn't enough power behind my Epic to really get my Monster Turbines going loud. 

Feb 22, 2011 at 7:50 PM Post #9 of 13
@gorman
Personally, neither the iphone nor any current android devices make ideal music players. This is mostly due to the lack of hardware buttons for player control. None of these devices can be used from inside a pocket. Even something as simple as pausing requires you to remove and unlock the device, or forces you into using specific headset headphones. When playing music on my phone, I just accept that's it's not going to be hifi, put on pandora, and am content. Though more often I'd rather just take along my clip for music playback. It's small and unobtrusive enough that it doesn't get in the way.
Quote:
The best you can do on Android is the Galaxy S Series. There really isn't anything 64GB yet, best you could do is maybe the Captivate 16GB + 32GB card if it even supports it. I'd check xda-developers for that. 

I wouldn't bother with any HTC phone, the sound quality is garbage. I'm finding that there isn't enough power behind my Epic to really get my Monster Turbines going loud. 

But what if I like Sense?
wink.gif
Plus if I can find the time, there's always the cyanogenmod upgrade.

Feb 22, 2011 at 9:20 PM Post #10 of 13
All Galaxy S phones support micro sd in 32GB capacity.

Feb 23, 2011 at 6:13 AM Post #11 of 13
Also, the SGS line has a fantastic DAC and very clean headphone amp.  If you're willing to flash some custom software, you can really get some fantastic sound out of it.

Feb 23, 2011 at 6:14 AM Post #12 of 13
I have the Samsung Galaxy S and have recently updated the sound using SuperCurio's kernel and software and I have to say that the improvement is awesome.  Basically it removes the limitations that Samsung have put on the phone in order to adhere with European legislation and also directly accesses the sound chip.

It's not quite perfect - I do still get the occasional pop out of the headphones but when paired with decent top end headphones - I use Triple Fi Pro, Ety ER4P and Shure 530's, all three work brilliantly and produce superb sound quality.  Strangely the Ety's have decent bass thump, the Triple Fi's have decent mid and the Shure's have some sparkle to the top end - don't ask me why - I can't explain it.

There's certainly no need for an amp with the phone now. At the moment I have 8gb on-board memory coupled with 16gb in micro SD.  I may get a 32gb at some point in the future but at the moment it does meet my needs and transferring music tracks onto the Galaxy is easily as fast as any other portable player out there.

Hope this helps.

Feb 23, 2011 at 6:20 AM Post #13 of 13
Download the Galaxy S Tuner app as well.  You may not need it, but it gives you access to parametric EQ (fun to play with at the very least).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back