Android friendly portable DAC Amp recco?
May 8, 2018 at 7:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Pavioni

New Head-Fier
I have a Fii o A3 I use from the phone outputs of a 2017 Samsung J7 and a 2017 Kindle HD8, both OTG capable.
Will using a DAC from their micro USB be a step up sonically over just an amp from their analog output s?

More specifically, the Samsung will plug into my truck head unit while the Kindle will be my source for porch and cruise ship e-reading and music with Hifiman Edition S and Senn PX200 ii phones.

The A3 amp alone does a credible job of driving my HE-400i's from the Kindles headphone out,but I suspect it can be better.
Looking at the Fii o E17k since its pretty cheap right now.
What say ye?

May 8, 2018 at 8:06 PM Post #2 of 6
I don’t know as I don’t own what you have and only have heard the HE-400i’s but do own the 400, and 400S and trying to repair a pair of PX100’s for someone. The 400i’s will do better with more power. Looks like the A3 has just a bit more power than the E17 but not by much 270 mW versus 220 mW at 32 ohms. Most planars handle Watts of power and the 400i can take 6 Watts. Doesn’t mean they need it but they do like the power. Doubt you’ll see a huge increase in sound quality with a dac over the phone but I think it could be better how much can’t say.

May 8, 2018 at 10:49 PM Post #3 of 6
Yah,that's the crux of the matter,don't know if outsourcing the DAC at this price point will improve the Sonics over the analog headphone out. Then again it's my ears, so if I want to pay the admission for this rabbit hole it's my choice.

May 9, 2018 at 1:30 AM Post #4 of 6
I have a Fii o A3 I use from the phone outputs of a 2017 Samsung J7 and a 2017 Kindle HD8, both OTG capable.
Will using a DAC from their micro USB be a step up sonically over just an amp from their analog output s?

More specifically, the Samsung will plug into my truck head unit while the Kindle will be my source for porch and cruise ship e-reading and music with Hifiman Edition S and Senn PX200 ii phones.

The A3 amp alone does a credible job of driving my HE-400i's from the Kindles headphone out,but I suspect it can be better.
Looking at the Fii o E17k since its pretty cheap right now.
What say ye?

Driving headphones, particularly the HE400i, probably not that much of an improvement if you already have the A3. That one AFAIK has more power than portable DAC-HPamps near its price range, so if you drive the HE400i out of the latter, you'd actually have less power. As far as the HE400i is concerned you'd be better off getting a desktop DAC-HPamp that has more clean power than the A3.

As for your vehicle's audio system, probably not a lot. Voltage output might be slightly lower if you use a portable DAC-HPamp's line out and not that much cleaner over the headphone output seeing a line input instead of a headphone (ie they tend to be a lot cleaner that way, and aren't starved for current and voltage). That also will not address the core problem of a car cabin, ie, that you don't have a Maclaren F1, something that only a car audio processor with 6-way+ independent time alignment and 3-way+ crossover network and at least five separate channels of amplification to make all that work can. You'll just add clutter inside the car for not much of an improvement.

May 9, 2018 at 1:58 PM Post #5 of 6
I have a FiiO X5 Gen 3 and its pretty dam good for what i paid and what it can do.
Eventually i'll upgrade for better down the line. but for right now its solid. I would highly rec it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back