Android, DLNA (Twonky) and USB Audio Player Integration
Dec 19, 2014 at 3:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

DDF

100+ Head-Fier
After much searching and experimenting, it appears there is no way to stream music files in Kit Kat over a DLNA/Twonky home network, and then out to an external USB audio dac.

Experimenting with a Samsung Note 10.1 2014 edition, USB Audio Player Pro works perfectly to my external DAC, however, it won't connect with a WD Live (twonky/dlna) home server.  SlickUPnP, BubleUPnP, WD My Cloud and other apps have no problems seeing the server and playing every file format I throw at it.

Is this a limitation of USB Audio Player Pro?

I tried Slick UPnP which then selects a player, but unfortunately it doesn't list USB Audio Player as an option when going to play a networked file, so the integration doesn't work.

Is there no way to play a music file from a Twonky/dlna (eg WD Live) based home network to USB Audio Player?

Thanks for reading this!

Dave

Dec 19, 2014 at 7:56 PM Post #2 of 19
For the time being, USB Audio Player PRO doesn't have the UPnP/DLNA network streaming capability.

It has the SMB/Samba network streaming capability.
A Samba server can be setup on any NAS or on a Windows / OSX / Linux machines.

Anyhow, I think you should alert eXtream Software Development of this UPnP/DLNA feature requirement by posting on the following thread:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/704065/usb-audio-recorder-pro-uapp-24-and-32-bit-playback-ubiquitous-usb-audio-support-for-android

Dec 19, 2014 at 9:01 PM Post #3 of 19
Thanks for you fast feedback

Is there not an app that will handle the dlna part and then use an audio player app to actually decode and play the file?

Dec 21, 2014 at 9:20 AM Post #6 of 19
The most known music player app for Android that supports DLNA and external USB audio through an OTG cable is BubbleUPnP.

BubbleUPnP can be a DLNA media renderer, a DLNA media server or/and a DLNA media controller.
The DLNA media server stores the content library and provides streaming media (music, ...) services.
The DLNA media renderer is the "music" player. It is the output device.
The DLNA media controller uses to make media selections. The controller is usually part of the player but it can be a separate unit altogether. In that case the controller is like a remote control.

As a DLNA media renderer, BubbleUPnP can stream music from a WD TV Live set up as a DLNA media server and output 48kHz PCM streams to a compatible USB DAC (i.e. with 48kHz resampling)
http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs/5265#post_10829830

44.1kHz music file stored on a DLNA media server >> LAN >> BubbleUPnP > 48kHz PCM stream >> USB OTG cable >> compatible USB DAC

USB Audio Player PRO (UAPP) can stream music from a WD TV Live set up as a SMB / Samba server and output PCM streams with no resampling to a compatible USB DAC.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs/5910#post_11146033

44.1kHz music file stored on a Samba server >> LAN >> UAPP > 44.1kHz PCM stream >> USB OTG cable >> compatible USB DAC

192kHz music file stored on a Samba server >> LAN >> UAPP > 192kHz PCM stream >> USB OTG cable >> compatible USB DAC

DSD music file stored on a Samba server >> LAN >> UAPP > DSD over PCM stream >> USB OTG cable >> compatible USB DAC

How to set up a Samba server on WD TV Live:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1m6mv9TmH8

Dec 21, 2014 at 10:24 AM Post #7 of 19
Thanks again Dan

I have been using Bubbleupnp but had no idea it could output to an external dac. Does it require Lolipop (with is native USB audio) or will this work in kitkat. Ie does the Bubbleupnp app itself provide the native USB audio support? Does it transcode everything to 48 kHz? If so, I guess it's better than no support

Funny you mention the WD TV, I was looking at that as a possible hardware solution yesterday as an output to my dac over its optical, using an android app as a remote, but it would still require a tv to see the menu (I think). If it could multicast back to the tablet, it would work brilliantly, but I don't think it supports this (at least not that I can tell by searching)

It's really surprising no ones developed something like this. It would turn a $100 media streamer into a squeezebox with a simple phone/tablet app

Dec 27, 2014 at 11:58 PM Post #9 of 19
Finally got a chance to try it: Bubbleupnp will stream from my dlna server, but output is always 48 kHz sample rate, and going through the android audio infrastructure, as DanB says.

Kind of nice, the WD my cloud app also plays to the external USB dac.  Both apps handle FLAC, WAV, MP3.

This is with android 4.4

Dave

Mar 7, 2015 at 2:29 PM Post #10 of 19
im having problems connecting my c5d, is there any configs needed in bubbleupnp to pick up the c5d, i would have thought it would pick it up on connect, just like usb audio pro does. im using my z1 and nexus 7.

any help on steps would be great. thanks.

Jul 10, 2015 at 3:06 PM Post #11 of 19
Hi, the last update of USB Audio Player Pro now supports UPnP/DLNA.

Jul 13, 2015 at 3:24 PM Post #13 of 19
Gave it a shot and two problems which makes it unusable for playing from DLNA:
1. Using folder mode (to navigate a large and varied music collection), it orders tracks in alphabetical order based on the tag instead of by the file name, making it unusable for listening to full cds
2. File management is awful.  Each time you want to change folder, you need to go back to the top list of dlna servers and work through all the folders again 

And a pretty big issue: doesn't even see APE or cue files from DLNA (Foobar on PC has no problem)
And a big annoyance: pixilates & downsizes album art size till its unreadable

Bubbleupnp and even the WD app don't have these issues, but of course go through the 48kHz conversion and Android audio sub system.  The sample rate conversion is far easier to live with

Unfortunately, this is nowhere near ready for release

Jul 13, 2015 at 6:51 PM Post #14 of 19
Follow up: I remember there was a change I had to make to my server so that all DLNA devices played from the server using file name order, or at least track number order in metadata.

All my devices (2 TVs, HT receiver, Android phone and Android tablet running Bubbleupnp or WD my cloud app) work properly and play songs from the server in the correct song order.   I'm guessing USB AudioPlayer Pro doesn't pick up the correct configuration from the dlna server and defaults to alphabetical order

FWIW, from local files on an SD card, it plays songs in the correct order and also manages the directory properly, stepping up from the current position when changing folders

These are pretty serious bugs rendering USB Audio Player pro unusable over DLNA

This was over a Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014

Jul 18, 2015 at 3:11 AM Post #15 of 19

These are pretty serious bugs rendering USB Audio Player pro unusable over DLNA

This was over a Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014

I'm using DLNA playing without issues, tracks plays in the right order (DLNA from Jriver).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back