Android DAP storage solutions
Feb 24, 2017 at 1:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

hAbIrAbI

100+ Head-Fier
Hi everybody. Since there is a considerable amount of Android DAPs being released and storage seems to be a discussions point often enough I wanted to know what you guys think is the right amount of storage and what storage medium is the best

The following solutions seem to be the most popular

1) only onboard storage
2) onboard storage + 1 microSD
3) onboard storage + 2 microSD

Personally I think the following two should also be considered as potential solutions

4) onboard storage + full SD

This is being suggested all the time. I don't know how one full SD compares from a power draw POV compared with 1 and 2 microSD. It seems to be a nice alternative to 2 microSDs since it provides similar storage for less money and potentially higher performance.

5) onboard storage + 1 or 2 UFS cards

UFS hasn't really been made it onto the market yet as far as I can tell. At least as far as external storage is concerned. Samsung IS using it for their internal storage on their mobile devices but even the Samsung Galaxy S8 is supposedly only using microSD according to leaks. UFS as an alternative only makes sense because Samsung is claiming that UFS provides much more performance at lower power consumption while keeping a similar size as microSD. It is not pin compatible to microSD so needs it's own reader and probably a controller. Using UFS 2.1 it might allow to address the internal and external storage in the same way.

6) other

There are most likely other storage solutions that have their own advantages and disadvantages. I would like to see what solutions people think provide the best compromise for their needs in an Android DAP.

While it's not the main concern for a DAP it seems to be something that is important enough to sway a lot of people to change their minds on purchases and I've noticed myself that this is the most important factor to me after sound and maybe on par with good usability.

So I'm looking forward to people giving their opinions on this topic.

Edit: I guess this thread could be extended to non Android DAPs as well since storage will be a concern regardless of the OS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back