Android Controls for IEM
Apr 8, 2012 at 8:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

klaypigeon

New Head-Fier
I have been looking to replace the stock headset that came with my HTC Aria. I have been reading through Jokers amazing review, wow what a lot of work he put into that-Thanks! The thing I am having trouble with is that  my current headset is a 3 button one. Next/Previous- volume /up/down (during call), Pause/Play - answer/hangup. I really can't tell which headsets have this or which will work like this. The only headsets that seem to have these controls are for iPod.iPhone and I am afraid that if I get those they won't work at all. 

I have spent 3 hours researching and I am starting to get a little frustrated and overwhelmed so I thought maybe I would see if anyone has had similar problems and answers.

I am looking sub-$100 for a headset that will handle calls and play music and has controls for music/calls. Emphasis on play music because cell phones still sound like walkie talkies for calls no matter what you do. I "have" some old Shure IEMs, but no MIC and I finally stepped on them and broke the housing :/, Also have some Senn PX100, but not really what I need for the phone. Any help?

Apr 9, 2012 at 12:45 AM Post #3 of 9
with andorid phones, there are a number of things you might need to know.

1) most headset for andriod only have one button

2) there are actually 2 3.5mm standard on andriod. omtp and ctia.   (iphones uses the ctia standard and I think other phone manufacturers are sort of moving to that as well)

3) the three button design relies on OS software. I guess your htc has its own verison of the software.

4) this software might work for you even if you don't have a-jays. Can't test because I don't have an andriod phone. http://www.jays.se/site/general/android.html

Apr 9, 2012 at 12:57 AM Post #4 of 9
Also to add, many iPhone remote and mics will work with Android phones if they have the right headphone jack (CTIA according to the post above).  The only difference is that the volume buttons won't function as they would on Apple's (most won't function at all).  The center button will though.

Apr 10, 2012 at 2:20 PM Post #6 of 9
Thanks guys, that clears things up a bit. I am going to query XDA because this phone must be running a kernel module or app that is allowing the 3-button controller to work with winamp, pandora, youtube etc. Oddly, I tried a iPhone 3-button and only the center button worked. Since I am more interested in sound than controls I think I will just move towards a single button solution. I imagine I will be changing phones soon anyway.

Apr 10, 2012 at 2:58 PM Post #7 of 9
Generally IMO dont use android phones for audio guys...a clip + will likely be better, and will save your phone some juice!  

I have a SGSII and its awful for audio, the first Galaxy however was great! 
http://www.anandtech.com/show/4686/samsung-galaxy-s-2-international-review-the-best-redefined/13

I know im being a bit generic but the S2 has really put me off, i got a Sony Z1060 and it puts it to shame, bit of a waste having android functionality i never use on the Z though! 

Apr 10, 2012 at 3:42 PM Post #8 of 9
I am wondering what dac my s2 skyrocket has on it. I see threads on XDA about poor sound quality and that they can hear the cpu, I do not have that on my phone at all even when going through my sd or doing  something intensive. I actually do not feel like I need more SQ out of it as my portable source.
Is there a way to check what dac it is without opening it?

Apr 17, 2012 at 8:29 PM Post #9 of 9

Quote:
I am wondering what dac my s2 skyrocket has on it. I see threads on XDA about poor sound quality and that they can hear the cpu, I do not have that on my phone at all even when going through my sd or doing  something intensive. I actually do not feel like I need more SQ out of it as my portable source.
Is there a way to check what dac it is without opening it?

Good question. As far as I know Qualcomm based Samsung Galaxy S ii variants sound about the same as HTC Sensation/HTC Vivid. The Skyrocket along with AT&T Note and T-Mobile S ii all have Snapdragon S3 SOCs which, most of the time, feature TI amplifiers which offer very good audio quality.It is interesting to notice that some people are ignorant and simply can not acknowledge the fact that different S ii s have dramatically different audio capabilities.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back