Android based Samsung YEPP Galaxy....wow!
Aug 18, 2010 at 3:22 AM Post #16 of 32
Quote:
The line of thinking is exactly what I wrote. Within a months time there were Android devices debuting with as old as 1.6 and as new as 2.2. The pace is too fast and there seems to be almost no backwards compatibility from what I've read.

2.2 is supposed to mark the end of Android's accelerated development, I don't think will a problem from now on.

Quote:
The gray scale gradient was the example I used because it was the easiest to see. There are ample ways in which the 4G totally obsoletes the screen performance of the Galaxy, but they may not be as apparent as the glaring example I mentioned.

Have you seen both screens?  I own an iPhone 4 and I have seen Samsung's super AMOLED screen in the flesh and the differences aren't done justice by those sample images.  For one, they are completely different and appeal to different tastes, the iphone 4's has the resolution advantage although the advantage is NOT striking at first glance and the Samsung's is much more contrasty and vibrant at the expensive of accuracy.  The S-AMOLED screen completely destroys the black level performance of IPS screen on the iPhone 4 and IMO, colour accuracy is not a priority in a mobile device but that's up you, the user.  However, I will say that those gradation problems that you can see in the image don't manifest themself in real world usage.  I really like my Iphone 4's screen but I don't think it's fair to say that it obsoletes the Galaxy's, it just isn't that clear cut.

Aug 18, 2010 at 3:37 AM Post #17 of 32
I suppose it's easy to say in real world use the screen difference isn't that big, but those pictures don't lie. You can say you don't care as much because it doesn't affect your use, but it's still there.

I have seen the iPhone 4 screen. A co-worker owns one and it is fabulous. I've also seen a Zune HD which I believe is AMOLED, and found both to be good screens, but with a definite edge to the iPhone.

God I wish I needed a more extensive phone plan as it would make this so much easier. I use my phone so little that it's hard to justify going from $10 a month to $60 a month for the cheapest smart phone plan I can find or $100 a month for most of the perks. My co-worker who got the iPhone 4 already had a high minute plan cause he uses his phone so much so it cost him nothing except the cost of the phone.

Having a choice between 1, possibly 2 units (wifi dap) or a dozen great phones..
frown.gif

Aug 18, 2010 at 6:08 AM Post #18 of 32
I'm not saying that the differences revealed in the picture should be ignored.  I just think that you should reserve judgement until you have seen both because while the pictures do reveal differences, they don't fully reveal the nature and extent.

Aug 18, 2010 at 10:20 AM Post #19 of 32
Hey, Maxvla
Zune HD is regular OLED and low WQVGA resolution.

Aug 18, 2010 at 10:22 AM Post #20 of 32

Quote:
I have seen the iPhone 4 screen. A co-worker owns one and it is fabulous. I've also seen a Zune HD which I believe is AMOLED, and found both to be good screens, but with a definite edge to the iPhone.

Zune HD screen is OLED.
Both Zune HD and iPhone screens have their drawbacks. iPhone screen is LCD (even IPS is worse than OLED); however, Zune HD screen is of a low resolution (2x lower than that of iphone) => large pixels.

Sep 19, 2010 at 9:11 PM Post #21 of 32
I've played around with the Galaxy S Vibrant at my local Bell store and truth be told, I'm not that impressed. I currently own a 32GB 3GS and use it as my all-around mobile device. Game system, DAC (it's 99% full with ALAC), portable camera and a cell phone.

I've been considering buying an android device for a while now, and the galaxy looked enticing, so I spent a good 10 minutes with it at the Bell store and found the system to be very counter-intuitive (mostly samsung's fault, running stock 2.2 or a hacked Sense UI ROM on it would have made the device a lot better IMO). The stock browser was awful, you had to push a button to pull up a contextual menu anywhere (not just in-browser, systemwide) and frankly, it didn't seem like it could do as much as my jailbroken iPhone. Also, the phone feels kind of cheap and plastic-y, even compared to my 3GS :/ I've played with the HTC Desire, Legend, Hero, and the Moto Droid and they all seem much more intuitive, aesthetically pleasing and solid in terms of system and hardware than the Galaxy S. I also found the Droid and Legend to be a much better size than the 4" Mammoth that is the Galaxy S Vibrant. 

I have never tried out any android phones for DAC use, but I've heard from a non-audiophile friend that his hero is "good enough" for using as a main player, and a more audio-savvy Nexus One owner who uses it as his main PMP with some Triple.Fis says the sounds's pretty good when EQ'd but still a little tinny. I'm assuming that the Galaxy would be fairly close to the N1 on terms of sound quality. Decent sound quality, but not awesome SQ like the 3GS/4.

I'd say that if you're looking for a powerful phone that plays music as well, get a Galaxy or other 'droid phone. If you're looking for a powerful DAC that doubles as a phone, the 3GS and 4 are the clear winners.

Just my 2 cents on the phone.

Sep 19, 2010 at 10:44 PM Post #22 of 32

Quote:
The stock browser was awful

Android allows you to change or extent it, 3GS man.

Quote:
you had to push a button to pull up a contextual menu anywhere

almost all the android devices have this hardware-based context sensitive menu button.

Quote:
Also, the phone feels kind of cheap and plastic-y

The phone feels quite good and slim to me. I didn't have one single issue with its build quality while playing with one on the mall a few weeks ago.

Quote:
 I also found the Droid and Legend to be a much better size than the 4" Mammoth that is the Galaxy S Vibrant. 

I gather you have lady hands because the phone is not that big. Looked quite small in my hands, smaller than I thought. Galaxy w/o hardware keyb is slimmer than the Droid.

Quote:
I'd say that if you're looking for a powerful phone that plays music as well

Samsung calls their mp3s "YEPP". I think you issue is coming here and start talking about phones or can you phone output your games to a HDTV?

Sep 19, 2010 at 11:02 PM Post #23 of 32

Samsung are known to copy/rip off/post illegal/copyright ignorant designs in many of their products. I'm sure some of their electronics are O.K., but in my house (in South Korea, everything is Samsung), the oven, the vacuum cleaner, the fans - all are broken and all are Samsung. Want to see Samsung's creativity in cars? Here's their top model. Seen it before? Yep, there's a good reason it can only be sold in Korea as it would get slammed by Benz abroad.
4961694433_7b19dcc67e_o.jpg

Quote:
I'll probably be the only one to say this...but the metal bezel looks incredibly cheesy for samsung...especially after the iphone 3g/3gs

i hope it's a good player tho...i'm in the market for a new one

Sep 20, 2010 at 2:30 AM Post #24 of 32
My computer LCD is Samsung...it is quite good for the price I paid for it. Much better than the Chinese made rubbish you see around here. My home theater is Samsung, too. Still works quite well after 2 years of regular use. My wife broke a Samsung YP-MT8 after 4 years of using it for music, videos and playing games daily. Your point?

Sep 20, 2010 at 3:50 AM Post #25 of 32
One thing that should be noted in this diskussion is that Aplle Touch 4G and Iphone doesn't share the same displays. Yes both are retina but only Iphone 4 got an IPS display so Touch 4G's display is a bit inferior to the Iphone 4's. The same goes for the camera, both can record in 720p but i think that the Touch got an 3 or 3,2 Megapuixel camera isntead of 5 megapixal wich Iphone 4 has.

Personal i think people doens't give Samsung enough credit, i own and old Samsung P2 and it's an really good sounding and compitent device and so is Samsung P3 too from what i heard. I think it's really good that Apple Touch get some more competitors,

Sep 20, 2010 at 5:30 AM Post #26 of 32

Quote:
My computer LCD is Samsung...it is quite good for the price I paid for it. Much better than the Chinese made rubbish you see around here. My home theater is Samsung, too. Still works quite well after 2 years of regular use. My wife broke a Samsung YP-MT8 after 4 years of using it for music, videos and playing games daily. Your point?

Also, samsung makes so much hardware components that nearly all electronics contains something samsung-ish. For example, in laptops that could be LCD, RAM, HDD...

Sep 20, 2010 at 7:50 AM Post #27 of 32
The ipod touch 4G actually has a 0.7MP cam whose picture quality is significantly lower than the iphone 4G's Its a 960X640 res. Even the videos are recorded at this resolution but upscaled to 1280X720. 

Sep 20, 2010 at 9:00 AM Post #29 of 32
@oyster - they are the largest conglomerate in the world - they sell cars, sell hotels, sell ships. Samsung started out as a fishing company. In North America and Europe people think Samsung are just some electronics maker - that happened only recently. 

Your hand held electronics might be okay - but when a person's life rests on a device (stove for instance or a car), I would trust Samsung as far as I could throw it. It is a really really unreliable company in terms of regular items. Its electronics division seems to be okay, though a lot of people here won't buy computers from them becasue of strange problems. Come to Korea and see the government that is owned by Samsung, see the rip off cars, the illegal research, the badgering - and tell me that Samsung is a worthy company to support.

I am sure their cute players are great though - enjoy!

Quote:

Sep 20, 2010 at 12:43 PM Post #30 of 32
I am still in disbelief.
Sounds like a bad guy ruling all over suppressing all competition by hook or crook

Users who are viewing this thread

Back