Android and a DAC?
Apr 26, 2012 at 11:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Tamirci

Member of the Trade: mobileaudiophile
Hello. I am planing to use a DAC (Musiland US 02 Dragon) with my Asus Transformer tablet (which is running Android).
Would it be possible? If yes, what would be my other choices?

Thanks

Apr 27, 2012 at 12:44 AM Post #4 of 11
Its not about the USB alone.
You need to get the signal from the DAC out to the USB using SPDIF. 
Maybe there's an android app for that.

Apr 28, 2012 at 4:28 AM Post #5 of 11

Quote:
Its not about the USB alone.
You need to get the signal from the DAC out to the USB using SPDIF. 
Maybe there's an android app for that.

now im confused... i plug the usb that connects my fiio e17 to my laptop and plug my headphone to the headphone jack and plays music from there, should i not do that? i need to use the spdif port too? 

Apr 28, 2012 at 4:58 AM Post #9 of 11
I think you would use SPDIF or USB. Doesn't make much sense to use both.

Anyway, since the Transformer doesn't have an SPDIF port, moot point. As for using the tablet with a DAC... it's more complicated than simply having a USB port (and Proton007 is half correct in that). I don't believe the current build of ICS has USB-out support, which means you're out of luck. At least for now. As far as I know, it is possible to get it working (I seem to recall somebody doing a custom kernel that did the trick), and you can help by voting on having the Google code crunchers have a look at it http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=24614

No idea if it'll get implemented, but I (and a few other folks) are crossing fingers.

Long-winded way of saying no, it won't work. Yet.

Apr 29, 2012 at 8:48 PM Post #10 of 11
My bad guys. SPDIF is a different protocol.
You'll need a USB Host Capability (or USB OTG) . I'm not sure if android has that enabled in the kernel. Maybe you can look it up on the android mod sites.

May 2, 2012 at 1:05 AM Post #11 of 11
There is an app for it not sure about the name or link to that but have seen with one of my friends using USB in his android and connecting it to headphone. May be you can Google it and find.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back