Android 3.1 will support USB Host mode... DAC's?
May 11, 2011 at 5:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Psy-Blade

New Head-Fier
May 11, 2011 at 6:03 AM Post #2 of 19
Nokia N8 and C7 (and I think all other Symbian ^3 devices) support acting as a USB host. Now if they support DACs, I cannot confirm. Can somebody help check please?

What I'm more curious is if there is a way to get the Mini HDMI output of some devices (LG 2X, the new Xperia phones, etc) and feed them into DAC/Amps. That sounds a more "currently available" solution if it is possible to begin with.

May 21, 2011 at 12:09 PM Post #4 of 19
Jun 1, 2011 at 2:35 PM Post #5 of 19
I would like to see an example of someone who has a 3.1 device (i.e. Xoom) trying it out with a USB DAC.

Jun 1, 2011 at 9:18 PM Post #6 of 19
I've got the Asus Transformer with 3.1 on it, but not the dock (yet).  There is no USB port on the tablet itself.
I've also have the Acer Iconia tablet, and it is supposed to get 3.1 sometime this month. It has one regular USB port on the side.  I'd be happy to test for DAC compatibility, but I'll need someone to point me to a reasonable DAC to get.

Jun 2, 2011 at 11:58 AM Post #7 of 19
That would be a whole discussion in itself :)
I am partial to the Leckerton products personally. No special drivers required and they just work, and sound great.
http://www.leckertonaudio.com
I have the UHA-6S (I have a review posted here and there are others), the UHA-6 drops the optical input for a few dollars savings and they also have the less expensive and smaller UHA-4.
Note that these are DAC/Amps which is what you would typically want for a portable application.

I am currently using a (long out of production) iRiver to give me mobile digital audio output.
Reducing my device count by one (I use a Nook Color for reading but could replace this with a generic tablet), and not having to rely on an ancient piece of equipment is extremely attractive to me.

Quote:
I've got the Asus Transformer with 3.1 on it, but not the dock (yet).  There is no USB port on the tablet itself.
I've also have the Acer Iconia tablet, and it is supposed to get 3.1 sometime this month. It has one regular USB port on the side.  I'd be happy to test for DAC compatibility, but I'll need someone to point me to a reasonable DAC to get.

Jun 4, 2011 at 1:24 PM Post #8 of 19
only usb 1.1 is supported, so thats limited to 16/48 and i think you will find, as with ipad, that there is a current limit on what you can power with the device that is below the usb 500ma max. it means some dacs will work, but depending on the receiver in the dac it may or may not require you to splice in some power somehow, or use a portable battery powered hub 

Jun 4, 2011 at 2:44 PM Post #9 of 19

Neither of these are much of a drawback from my perspective. Most of my portable music is FLAC ripped from CDs with some MP3s from Amazon, so Red Book audio resolution is just fine. And my Leckerton allows you to turn off power input from the USB port, running 100% from internal battery (around 15 hours, much longer than any tablet I know of). Eagerly awaiting a report on whether or not the tablets will actually properly recognize a DAC and load the correct driver.

Quote:
only usb 1.1 is supported, so thats limited to 16/48 and i think you will find, as with ipad, that there is a current limit on what you can power with the device that is below the usb 500ma max. it means some dacs will work, but depending on the receiver in the dac it may or may not require you to splice in some power somehow, or use a portable battery powered hub 

Jun 4, 2011 at 4:29 PM Post #10 of 19
sure just sayin, also, no driver, afaik if it needs a driver it doesnt comply with the usb audio codec

Jun 4, 2011 at 7:09 PM Post #11 of 19
Thanks for clarification on that.
Hopefully we'll get someone to try it out soon.
I found a photo of a Xoom plugged into a Fiio here, so definitely looks promising:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?s=bf65e7512944eb83b272aaae6637a02c&p=14245491#post14245491

Quote:
sure just sayin, also, no driver, afaik if it needs a driver it doesnt comply with the usb audio codec

Jun 12, 2011 at 10:41 PM Post #12 of 19
I had to try this out. I borrowed a Xoom, bought a Motorola camera adapter cable, and hooked up my DAC. I am sorry to have to report that it didn't work. The DAC was not recognized under either the stock music player or WinAmp.

Maybe as 3.1 becomes more common someone will consider it worth their while to write an application.

Jun 14, 2011 at 2:55 PM Post #13 of 19

Quote:
Thanks for clarification on that.
Hopefully we'll get someone to try it out soon.
I found a photo of a Xoom plugged into a Fiio here, so definitely looks promising:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?s=bf65e7512944eb83b272aaae6637a02c&p=14245491#post14245491

This is not a photo of Xoom.

Quote:
I had to try this out. I borrowed a Xoom, bought a Motorola camera adapter cable, and hooked up my DAC. I am sorry to have to report that it didn't work. The DAC was not recognized under either the stock music player or WinAmp.

Maybe as 3.1 becomes more common someone will consider it worth their while to write an application.

This is not on the application level. It has to be implemented in the Xoom's kernel. Once done, it will let you use any music application with DAC via USB.
Let's hope this feature will be released in the near future.

Jun 14, 2011 at 3:04 PM Post #14 of 19

Quote:
This is not a photo of Xoom.

This is not on the application level. It has to be implemented in the Xoom's kernel. Once done, it will let you use any music application with DAC via USB.
Let's hope this feature will be released in the near future.

Yeah, I kind of realized that later after I posted it. iPad?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back