Andrew WK: Genius or talent free twerp?
Apr 20, 2002 at 6:49 PM Post #16 of 65
Quote:

Originally posted by Raymond Kim
So many people here on head-fi have elitist attitudes towards the type of music they like.

Very annoying.
mad.gif

Look at the title of the thread. It's soliciting opinions. Are you annoyed because more of us aren't fans of this guy? Not liking his music is elitist?

If someone put a poll out asking if we liked Miles Davis' music, and a few people said, "I like Britney Spears, N'Sync, Andrew WK, and the Spice Girls, but Miles Davis is talentless," would that be elitist too?

Apr 20, 2002 at 8:47 PM Post #17 of 65
Quote:

Look at the title of the thread. It's soliciting opinions. Are you annoyed because more of us aren't fans of this guy? Not liking his music is elitist?

No, that's not what I meant. Many people here tend to put things down and harshly criticize aritsts, music genres, etc simply because such artists, music genres, etc are not what they listen to. It's the "the music I listen to is the best while your music sucks" attitude I'm talking about. Everyone has their own tastes in music; others shouldn't rag on others tastes because it's not congruent with that they like.

Quote:

If someone put a poll out asking if we liked Miles Davis' music, and a few people said, "I like Britney Spears, N'Sync, Andrew WK, and the Spice Girls, but Miles Davis is talentless," would that be elitist too?

It's not an issue of Pop Music vs. Other Music, I hope you understand. And saying that Miles Davis is talentless wouldn't be elitist; it would be absolute ignorance. Somehow I feel like I've angered you?

Apr 20, 2002 at 9:10 PM Post #18 of 65
Quote:

Originally posted by Raymond Kim
No, that's not what I meant. Many people here tend to put things down and harshly criticize aritsts, music genres, etc simply because such artists, music genres, etc are not what they listen to. It's the "the music I listen to is the best while your music sucks" attitude I'm talking about. Everyone has their own tastes in music; others shouldn't rag on others tastes because it's not congruent with that they like.

Markl asked for opinions and i gave mine, sometimes some bands/artists really do suck, and suck bad. He didn't seem to be too offended though, i think markl is taking it in good stride, right mark? This isnt being elitist, well, maybe i am, since i worked in a music store for three years a while back i have grown to appreciate good music, in all genres, and lash out at the drivel that is revolting to my ears.

You also said: "And saying that Miles Davis is talentless wouldn't be elitist; it would be absolute ignorance."

This sounds like a very elitist remark to me.

Apr 20, 2002 at 9:28 PM Post #19 of 65
How would that be elitist? I only meant to imply that he has extraordinary talent as a musician.

About Andrew WK,

I agree with Markl. I wouldn't say he's a genius but I think he's going to be big. There are artists that make music that you listen to just for fun, and Andrew WK is one of those artists.

Apr 20, 2002 at 10:05 PM Post #20 of 65
"i think markl is taking it in good stride, right mark?"

Absolutely. I asked a deliberately loaded question to encourage strong opinions. Seems I got 'em.

Again, I don't usually listend to this type of music (what category is he in anyway?), but if we must be subjected to either Kid Rock or Andrew WK, I say give us Andrew!

Even though it's out of fashion, I guess I'm still ironic enough to get some perverse pleasure out of what he is doing. It's all the more absurd in the post 9-11 atmosphere where we're all supposed to have become suddenly sincere and earnest.

markl

Apr 21, 2002 at 12:43 AM Post #21 of 65
Genius..he's hardly what I'd call "manufactured", but in an age where "nu-rock" reigns supreme ("just add a rapper/DJ and mix well"), his enthusiasm is refreshing..to paraphrase Cyndi Lauper, the guy just wants to have fun.

- Wasif.

P.S. It's a pity that, while the U.K.'s embraced Americans like The Strokes and Andrew W.K., Rolling Stone is too busy profiling the latest WB teen show instead of doing what it's supposed to be doing i.e. bringing great music to the masses.

Apr 21, 2002 at 1:34 AM Post #23 of 65
Quote:

Originally posted by wasifazim
P.S. It's a pity that, while the U.K.'s embraced Americans like The Strokes and Andrew W.K., Rolling Stone is too busy profiling the latest WB teen show instead of doing what it's supposed to be doing i.e. bringing great music to the masses.

<Flipping through one of my CD case's Pop/Rock section and I find among others...>
  1. Belle & Sebastian
  2. Richard Ashcroft
  3. Verve
  4. Beatles
  5. Travis
  6. Sting
And you get Andrew WK. I'll take the swap.
wink.gif

Apr 21, 2002 at 4:29 AM Post #25 of 65
"After listening to these songs, well.. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

What complete utter worthless ****!!!"

See, you DO get it. It's funny. It's supposed to be funny. Yup, it's agressively complete and utter ****. It's impossibly moronic. But that's the whole charm. As Spinal Tap says, "It's such a thin line between clever and stupid, really"

markl

Apr 21, 2002 at 4:53 AM Post #26 of 65
He even looks like a cast member of Jackass, he was on SNL last week, I didn't remember the name before, but when I saw his pic on the website I remembered. He was acting like a total jackass when he was singing, so yes it's suppose to be silly and dumb.

Not my type of thing, but if you want to listen to him with your R10's, go right ahead, the irony alone might be worth it.
wink.gif

Apr 21, 2002 at 5:55 AM Post #28 of 65
Quote:

Originally posted by Jeff Guidry
Listen to Merzbow.

Who?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back