and the grados came...
Oct 2, 2002 at 11:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

slartibadfast

New Head-Fier
this is kind of a follow up to the thread i started earlier "grado or no..." where i, being a pretty young audiophile, asked about what headphones would be good to start out with. i ended up ordering the grado SR80s, which i just recieved and am currently trying out. i am more than pleased, these are probably the nicest headphones i've ever heard (which granted, isn't saying much). jeremy enigk sounds downright beutiful on these puppies.

thanks a lot for all of your input, it certainly appears that everything i was told is true, including the comfort factor. i can see how these would be uncomfortible after a couple hours (especially with the mop i've got), but at this point i don't really care.

so, should i "break these in" a bit? i've heard that you're suppose to let a set of cans run for a while to get them sounding their best. how long should i do this for? what kind of music would be good for this?

thanks again.

Oct 3, 2002 at 12:09 AM Post #2 of 4
Nah, just put them on and listen to them. Leave them running when you're through listening -- the freaks'll tell you that you should burn them in with some music that represents all frequencies well, but just put something in and don't worry about it.

My Grado HP-2 came today -- a good day all around. My first pair of good headphones were also the SR-80. I love them. Unfortunately I think they'll get considerably less use now. (Unless, of course, I don't feel like wearing a hat.) But, yeah, feel confident that you now own some very nice headphones.

Also, I found that the Grados' fit bothered me less as time went on. I found them annoying at first, but then stopped noticing. Who cares when you've got good tunes?

kerelybonto

Oct 3, 2002 at 1:11 AM Post #3 of 4
Just bend the metal headband on the Grados a little bit (or a lot!) if it gets too uncomfortable... my SR60s came with a little sheet from Grado describing how to bend the band. Just be careful you don't make them too loose. But you can make them extremely comfortable this way. I started out not bending it, and then just made it a little looser in stages until it was just right. Now they are SUPER comfortable.

Oct 3, 2002 at 3:52 AM Post #4 of 4
Quote:

Originally posted by slartibadfast
so, should i "break these in" a bit? i've heard that you're suppose to let a set of cans run for a while to get them sounding their best. how long should i do this for? what kind of music would be good for this?

Break 'em in for 72-96 hours. The sound will change a lot during that time. Classical or jazz music played at a moderate volume is best, but use whatever you've got if you don't have either of those two genres.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back