And the award for best Cow Bell Solo goes to...
May 8, 2005 at 5:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 44

bundee1

Headphoneus Supremus
Seriously, ever since that SNL skit with Blue Oyster Cult, my appreciation for the cow bell as an instrument has skyrocketed. Ever since that skit Im noticing the cow bell in songs I never knew had cow bells. Name songs in which you think the cow bell really contributes to the greatness of that song. Ill have to go back and do some listening but you guys can start it up.

May 8, 2005 at 5:51 AM Post #2 of 44
The Cowbell Project:
http://www.geekspeakweekly.com/cowbell/

I think one or two years ago on New Years we turned it to MTV or VH1, whichever had the Metallica concert, and while Metallica was playing a text message someone had sent in read "Needs more cowbell".

edit: #700

May 8, 2005 at 6:08 AM Post #3 of 44
bundee1 --

Pink Floyd -- Young Lust

It is a well-fitting addition that moves the song forward, solely in my opinion.
In the live version, it becomes downright excessive (but well-received, of course).

Nick Mason sure plays a merciless, relentless cow bell!
biggrin.gif

We do NOT need more cowbell! Sorry, it is hard to resist!
wink.gif

BANGBELL

May 8, 2005 at 6:48 AM Post #5 of 44
three songs that has cowbell i could think of at the moment:

"The Perfect Kiss" by New Order
"House of Jealous Lovers" by The Rapture
"Night Train" by Guns n' Roses

May 8, 2005 at 8:01 AM Post #7 of 44
Taking Care Of Business - BTO

"More Cow Bell! More Cow Bell!"

May 8, 2005 at 11:06 AM Post #8 of 44
Odd... I don't hear any cowbell at all in "Young Lust". Oh well.

Cowbells are nice for driving the beat in a rock song, but to me they really excel as part of a Latin percussion set. It's a surprisingly versatile instrument: many different ways to change the sound by adjusting technique. Unfortunately, I don't think I have any blistering cowbell solos in my CD collection. Santana has pretty solid cowbell parts in most of his songs, though. "Evil Ways" has a nice cowbell part... pretty hot at the end of the song but gets lost in the mix a bit.

May 8, 2005 at 3:06 PM Post #9 of 44
Quote:

"Night Train" by Guns n' Roses

Excellent choice Bong. Substitute any other instrument there and the song loses something.

May 8, 2005 at 5:36 PM Post #12 of 44
Queens of the Stone Age - Little Sister

In fact there is an audio clip of the SNL skit ou there with the QOTSA song in place of the Blue Oyster Cult song. Its hilarious.

May 8, 2005 at 6:31 PM Post #13 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by silentperfection
Not overdone like the rapture but very effective and booty shaking nonetheless.

heh... i quite like the cowbell in "House of Jealous Lovers." everytime i listen to Echoes i always have to listen to "House of Jealous Lovers" at least 5 times in a row just because of the cool cowbell intro and the middle instrumental break.
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by bundee1
Excellent choice Bong. Substitute any other instrument there and the song loses something.

the cowbell totally drives "Night Train." it wouldn't be the song if it didn't have the cowbell. correct me if i'm wrong... but once Steven Adler left, i don't think Matt Sorum used the cowbell...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jigglybootch
What about Def Leppard's "Foolin'." I do believe there's some cowbell action in there.

oh yeah... i think "Foolin'" did have the cowbell.

another song with a cool cowbell is Bauhaus' "Poison Pen." it's funky!

May 8, 2005 at 8:45 PM Post #14 of 44
No cowbell solo that I've heard comes close to "House of Jealous Lovers." Probably because it's a legit cowbell solo...it's not just part of the drum kit. I've seen performances where the lead singer bounces around on stage, banging the crap out of that cowbell and doing nothing else. Bruce Dickinson would be proud.

May 8, 2005 at 8:56 PM Post #15 of 44
ooh... "House of Jealous Lovers" is winning!
icon10.gif

actually, New Order's "The Perfect Kiss" is also a bona fide cowbell solo. the lead singer/guitarist Bernard Sumner actually plays the cowbell in the long instrumental break while Bassist Peter Hook plays a homemade electronic drum pad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back