And so it begins... (just got the portaPros)
Nov 3, 2005 at 2:25 PM Post #16 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by fewtch
Surprise, (to my ears anyway) Portapros improve significantly when amped. In particular, it cleans up the bass somewhat.

x2... same goes for the KSC75.

How much of an impact amping has is all relative to your unamped source. If it has a robust headphone out then the change may be less noticeable to you.

An amp increase dynamic levels... the difference between quiet and soft passages. Transient characteristics change as well, the "quickness" and speed of the driver as it responds to the attack and decay of its input signal... while overal volume may not change. Unless your headphone out is pathetically under-powered, volume boost should NOT be the primary reason for amping.

Garrett

Nov 3, 2005 at 2:29 PM Post #17 of 25
Well, the volume boost is for when I plug my ZM into my freinds car, which has an auxiliery input. To get a decent volume level the car volume has to be at max, and the ZM at 22-25. That's pretty battery draining, so I'd like an amp for that purpose. I also want to get into DIYing, and the cmoy seems like a good place to start.

Nov 3, 2005 at 7:19 PM Post #18 of 25
Skudmunky, you'll have fun building that CMOY amp, I'm in the process already I've got all the parts , I just need to get an DMM and I'll be set. And as fewtch, DobsOnly, and VR6ofpain all stated your first amp and a set of cans and your hooked. And as fewtch stated there was a noticable improvement when I amped my PortaPro's.

Nov 3, 2005 at 8:53 PM Post #19 of 25
Ok, thanks for putting me in the good direction Kramer and Fewtch.
Then it's probably well worth the money!
@zoot2boot: Head-fistory is a real funny word! I hadn't read it untill I saw your reply.
biggrin.gif

Nov 3, 2005 at 11:58 PM Post #21 of 25
I bought some cheap foam pads from The Source(formerly Radio Shack) to mod the pads.

first, the opening wasn't big enough to stretch over the Porta Pros, so had to slice and dice. I then cut the hole in the middle around a nickel.

after impression: it's very transparent. I thought the pressure from the bass with the original pads was kinda like being under water. it feels more open now. not as warm anymore, sounds more neutral.

the bass has definitely become lighter and tighter, and yay - we have midrange. vocals from both males and females seem to have benefitted from the mod. I haven't drilled the plastic casing yet, I kinda want to keep the warranty.
tongue.gif

overall, excellent mod for excellent headphones.

Nov 4, 2005 at 3:00 AM Post #23 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
An amp increase dynamic levels... the difference between quiet and soft passages. Transient characteristics change as well, the "quickness" and speed of the driver as it responds to the attack and decay of its input signal... while overal volume may not change. Unless your headphone out is pathetically under-powered, volume boost should NOT be the primary reason for amping.

Garrett

Well put, my Karma will drive all my cans to painful levels without an amp. The amps really tighten things up and improve the overall sound quality. That’s the benefit.

Nov 5, 2005 at 12:43 AM Post #25 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by luuk
But, not every headphone will improve much with a amp (right?).

Right. But it depends on the source, so without factoring that in you can't say for sure. *Any* low impedance headphone combined with a source that can't drive low impedance loads well should benefit from an amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back