...and one more k701 thread
Mar 19, 2006 at 11:14 PM Post #16 of 25
Butbutbut...I like my 701s with 12sn7s
frown.gif

Mar 19, 2006 at 11:44 PM Post #18 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by sacd lover
I have those original Sloth 701's and this headphone remains ahead of my other 701's ...

Yeah, I win! Those are gonna be worth something some day you know. 'FS: Genuine Original Sloth 701's!'.

I tell you, it's amazing what my head can do for a pair of headphones...

Anyway, I'm glad you made the observation about current, because it's bang on. Enjoy!

Mar 19, 2006 at 11:56 PM Post #19 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by PFKMan23
Butbutbut...I like my 701s with 12sn7s
frown.gif

You probably dont listen to rock that has a high average volume level and demanding bass passages. I can use the 6/12sn7 just fine for solo acoustic music etc... But put on some rock/ electric blues with lots of bass and cymbal crashes ... and juice the volume a little ... and the tubes just dont have the power reserves to handle this headphone; atleast IMO.

Mar 20, 2006 at 12:05 AM Post #20 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by sacd lover
You probably dont listen to rock that has a high average volume level and demanding bass passages. I can use the 6/12sn7 just fine for solo acoustic music etc... But put on some rock/ electric blues with lots of bass and cymbal crashes ... and juice the volume a little ... and the tubes just dont have the power reserves to handle this headphone; atleast IMO.

That would be true...

Mar 20, 2006 at 12:25 AM Post #21 of 25
Quote:

I have those original Sloth 701's and this headphone remains ahead of my other 701's ... apparently because these are fully burnt in. But my other 701's are starting to come around.

Earl, are you raising a herd?
tongue.gif
Giddyap little K701 doggies!
icon10.gif

Mar 21, 2006 at 11:27 AM Post #23 of 25
This thread was a very interesting read...

I particularly agree with TheSloth and Beauregard about the single headphone 'philosophy'. In my experiences too (with the HD650 and HD595 which I used to keep switching) I concluded that it helps to listen to the music, not the sound. Which is indeed what we music lovers are after. And this way it's much more economical, to boot
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 21, 2006 at 12:30 PM Post #24 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by markl
Earl, are you raising a herd?
tongue.gif
Giddyap little K701 doggies!
icon10.gif

I have a herd of 600's too.
600smile.gif

In fact, I have a herd of Singlepower amps!
icon10.gif

You can start calling me "cowboy".

Mar 21, 2006 at 2:40 PM Post #25 of 25
but from a burn in standpoint, if they are similar the K701 will improve. I was quite disappointed with my K601's out of the box. They were quite bright and had little to no bass (probably the same as the K501). After about 3 weeks of auditioning and burn in, they improved. The edge on the treble was taken off, and the bass made an appearance. It wasn't a miracle, but they became a welcome addition. Overall the sound worked and they became my new day-to-day can for home listening. They have a very easy going way to their sound reproduction. Not laid back, but causual. But I will admit as I have said in previous posts the lean bottom end makes these can's no good for blues/rock playback. Other than that they have few flaws for the price I paid for them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back