And it still works!
Sep 25, 2004 at 6:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Rotareneg

Internetus Quickus
Got this old Art of Noise CD sitting around that'd only play in my portable because of a few scratches:

scratches.jpg

eek.gif
biggrin.gif

My Memorex 52x CD-RW and EAC couldn't extract without lots of glitches and timing errors so I ended up just recording the analog output from my Panasonic PCDP with anti-skip turned on, which worked pretty good. Anyone else have any CD's that are that bad (or worse?
tongue.gif
)

Sep 25, 2004 at 6:26 PM Post #3 of 8
If you want even better sound quality, see if you can get a player (or use your pc's cd rom drive) with a digital coax/optical out. Then burn the digital signal onto a cd-r.

Sep 25, 2004 at 6:26 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by D-EJ915
all of my discs are under 6 years old, so none here.

Hell, I've got discs 19 years-old and none of them look like that!
eek.gif

Sep 25, 2004 at 7:45 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rotareneg
a few scratches....

remind me to have someone double check your goods before I send you money if I ever buy anything from you.

Sep 25, 2004 at 7:48 PM Post #6 of 8
Not entirely sure why it's so messed up, it's my brothers CD and I think it may have sat in a big pile of bare CD's for a while.

As for getting a digital extraction, it'd have to be a portable player with a digital output and good anti-skip, which I don't have. All my regular players, including a Sony DVD player, my Denon DCM-370, and the DVD-ROM and CD-RW drive in my computer all play it with glitches here and there, and have a few spots where they get hung up at. EAC ends up running error correction on each sample, it estimated it'd take over an hour to extract a 2 minute track, and that's before it gets to a really bad spot where the other players get stuck. My SL-SW860 on the other hand seems to have no problem with it at all, no noticible pops or glitches when played with it's 40 second anti-skip turned on.

Sep 25, 2004 at 7:51 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by ayt999
remind me to have someone double check your goods before I send you money if I ever buy anything from you.

Hehe, forgot the
wink.gif
smiley. "Slightly used" probably wouldn't be a good description of that disk, that'd for sure.
biggrin.gif

Sep 25, 2004 at 8:57 PM Post #8 of 8
The scratches seem quite spotty and evenly spread out and there is no continious damage running parallel to the tracks. I'd think a high quality transport would read that disc fine.

Fortunately my copy of that disc doesn't look like that
eek.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back