And in the end...The Beatles are why audiophilia exists?
Aug 10, 2007 at 3:34 PM Post #16 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by anadin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nobody influenced music more than the beatles, especially when they went into there hippy stoned mode of music.

He was talking about the technology in recording equipment and such, not the music.

Also many other people (not just musicians) influenced music to a huge degree (a degree I would say greater than the beatles). Such a broad statement and in making it you would have to really go into an indepth explanation/definition of influential, and why their impact was greater than many other highly regarded musicians/composers.

Aug 10, 2007 at 5:10 PM Post #17 of 35
Quote:

Nobody influenced music more than the beatles, especially when they went into there hippy stoned mode of music.

No one is questioning the influence on music... that is unquestionable.

To say they are responsible for inspiring the entire audio hi-fi industry boom with the release of 2 albums, is stretching it (to put it mildly).... IMHO

Aug 10, 2007 at 5:35 PM Post #18 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Matlock /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Les Paul did more than the Beatles did. Including the first use of multi track recording.

Props also due to Bing Crosby for personally investing in the development of the technology and then giving that first Ampex to Les.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 10, 2007 at 5:56 PM Post #21 of 35
Al Gore invented high end audio and cured global warming - LOL

IMHO the Beetles had nothing to do with the invention of hi-fi. That happened long before.

Aug 10, 2007 at 6:10 PM Post #22 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Al Gore invented high end audio and cured global warming - LOL

IMHO the Beetles had nothing to do with the invention of hi-fi. That happened long before.

A lot of people keep using the word invented and that's not what I meant. I simply meant.....obviously Edison had more to do with the invention of hi-fi. I'm not stupid. I just simply meant that I feel as though the idea of AUDIOPHILIA IS IN THE MAINSTREAM begins with the bealtes.....maybe the title of this thread using the word "exists" throws people off, but I meant it more exists in the mainstream. And of course theres still plenty of room for me to be wrong....as most of you think i am
600smile.gif

Aug 10, 2007 at 6:18 PM Post #23 of 35
I think you're ignoring another genre that preceded rock and the Beatles--Jazz.

If there was any music that paid attention to recording the music well, it's jazz. So, I don't think the Beatles' music were the first that or primarily introduced audiophilia in the mainstream, the description itself is an oxymoron because audiophilia definitely is not mainstream.

Aug 10, 2007 at 6:27 PM Post #24 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by jtevol1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think you're ignoring another genre that preceded rock and the Beatles--Jazz.

If there was any music that paid attention to recording the music well, it's jazz. So, I don't think the Beatles' music were the first that or primarily introduced audiophilia in the mainstream, the description itself is an oxymoron because audiophilia definitely is not mainstream.

I love jazz, but except for Bill Evan's conversations with myself, I don't believe there was any overdubbing and studio trickery in jazz music up to the BEatles' debut......yes the Rudy Van Gelder techniques were revolutionary, and so was Columbia in the 50s, but I guess I'm not just talking about mere sonic quality............because then I would be talking about the Living Stereo recordings on RCA from 1954 onward. But what I am talking about is using the studio to develop new soundscapes and illusions that became the phenomenon of the general consumer looking for great audio equipment to reproduce these soundworlds.........for instance the beatles lead was then taken on by Led Zeppelin with panoramic fading, and then obviously by Pink Floyd. I'm not talking simply about natural sounding recordings that don't involve mixdown but were recorded beautifully, i'm talking about Studio invention that inspired young people that are now the audiophile generation.

Personally, my collection is mostly classical with a lot of jazz so I relate to all the disagreements I'm getting. But I do feel that while not everyone can afford an RS10 or even an HD650, the general feeling of quality sound is embedded in the minds of a large amount of music listeners. So while audiophilia is not in the mainstream the way the ipod is (haha) I feel if you remember the jump it made from 1954 to 1968....I've been told it was those records that made everyone run out and buy a stereo. I didn't live then, it's what I've been told.

Aug 10, 2007 at 6:29 PM Post #25 of 35
Quote:

I'd disagree with this, too. If you mean which artists were most popular, then yes.

But as far as influencing music, the Beatles' impact was very minimal compared to others (and they were hardly innovative), like Duke Ellington, Louis Armstrong, Miles Davis, Elvis, etc. Those are the ones who influenced music itself, particularly the styles and directions of music.

Aug 10, 2007 at 6:29 PM Post #26 of 35
This is partially true in my case, but I was also time time I was introduced to Modern Jazz. Alot of my friends had the KLH compact stereo, I believe it was a model 20. We also got into "High" end headphones like the Koss Pro 4, which had liquid filled pads, which eventually leaked. This along with a TEAC reel to reel was considered Hi- Fi.

Brubeck was Big, Some Miles Davis, the Beach Boys sounded great in stereo, Amad Jamal (sp?). I don't know if Jazz was common for white middle class kids who viewed themselves and surfer, but we though we were hip. Martin Denny's Quiet Village with the bird and monkeys, animals not bands, was a real big deal. Stan Getz. Santo and Johnny, Sleepwalk. My parents hand an Airline (Ward's) stereo and I could tell the difference in KLH......the tactile feel of the knobs, the graphic, and aux in and out.....whoa. If I'm not mistaken the first Beatles album here, Meet The Beatles, was Mono, as well as the V-Jay album released in England.

My opinion is that it was more effected by Dave Brubeck, Glenn Gould, and ultimately Hendrix with all the seeping back and forth of the channels. I remember listening to the Beatles mostly and the Radio in cars. The White Album and the one with "I want you so badly" were definitely listen to on the high quality component systems of the time KLH became passe, but I still think about it even now,, better vide I guess I believe Fischer and Pioneer, and even Pilot. I think Marrantz was a big deals as well as McIntosh with the tubes.

Aug 10, 2007 at 6:52 PM Post #27 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dexdexter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Props also due to Bing Crosby for personally investing in the development of the technology and then giving that first Ampex to Les.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oh cool! Did not know that part.
cool.gif

Aug 10, 2007 at 7:26 PM Post #28 of 35
Right here in our own back yard. Let's give a little credit to Joe Grado, and all the others who let technology catch up with the talent.

Joe helped it get going for us masses and John helps keep it going!

Yeah; Grado IS a long established family in the business!

Aug 10, 2007 at 7:50 PM Post #29 of 35
Its kinda like saying Thomas Edison was the pioneer of modern electricity, but Tesla had just as much to do with it if not much more than Edison.

Aug 10, 2007 at 8:55 PM Post #30 of 35
The Beatles also invented Christmas and pay raises.

Flame away, but the Beatles did a lot more imitating (R & B, girl groups, Dylan, etc.) than innovating in my opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back