And here (hear) I thought digital had made great gains!
Mar 8, 2007 at 1:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

Rob80b

Headphoneus Supremus
Just got myself a dedicated CDR to archive my studio work (Electro-acoustic music) from Reel to Reel plus some LP’s not unavailable on CD.
The unit’s the HHB CDR-830 http://www.hhb.co.uk/hhb/usa/hhbprod...r830/index.asp
Having read a lot about that even today’s basic CD players are better than the older models I sat down and gave a serious listening comparison to my venerable Teac VRDS-20 which I bought in 1995 and retailed for $2400.00.
I was really hoping that the CDR-830 would replace my VRDS-20 and I could kill two birds with one stone.
Playback was through my Bryston BP25, Bryston 3BST, Dynaudio Contour 1.3MKII’s and Velodyne F1000 Sub, Audioquest Interconnects and Speaker Cable.
I focused on one recording Thimar with Anour Brahem, John Surman and Dave Holland, I find this a very well recorded Jazz album and always presented a sense of realism with good stage presence with a three dimensional space, especially around Holland’s bass playing.
So what type of gap is presented with the newer HHB 830, well to my disappointment I was presented with a more digital presentation, try as I might the older 1 Bit technology of the VRDS-20 greatly surpassed the Pioneer technology of the HHB CDR-830 in terms of realism, air, staging and that sense of putting the musicians in your living room.
I’ve read that the 830’s playback does not equal it’s recording abilities as a highly regarded CDR but in terms of digital gains I’m holding on to my 90’s Teac VRDS-20.
Now I’m sure there are better reproducers of digital out there, I’m itching to try out a Benchmark or one of the new Rega players but it’s nice to now my original Teac VRDS-20 was not all smoke and mirrors when it came out 15 years ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back