...and another reason to keep CDs alive
Apr 12, 2013 at 3:20 AM Post #16 of 18
Quote:
I have shared one flac before, although I had to drag and drop the flac file into a premade file in dropbox. It took too long(5+ min as far as I remember) to fully load(28MB) into the file though via desktop app, so it definitely isn't optimized for large files.

and storage costs will soon mount up too.

Quote:
A NAS is the best of both worlds. You have your files and they can be played anywhere in the world with your phone/tablet/computer.

The one thing I hate about the cloud is that they use matching. I've always assumed you get stuck with whatever version is on their server. Is this right? I would much rather have my MFSL/early mastering etc.version than some new remaster compressed crap.

Dropbox is way too expensive. It would cost me $200 a year to have my collection in v0 MP3. $500 to have it in FLAC and it would have to be culled.

I actually have a NAS too that is accessible over the Interweb and it is a good solution...as long as they keep making them.
If other cloud storage uses matching like apple do - that's a big NO NO for me.

Apr 12, 2013 at 6:51 PM Post #18 of 18
Quote:
Well although not perfect, dropbox does pretty much what I said in a smaller scale.

Google Fiber guys, Google Fiber. Whatever city that was that was able to get it is bloody lucky and I hope they eventually implement it as staple in the next 5 years or so, at least for us countries that don''t already do 1Gbps -.-. There really is no reason for a 1st world country to have crap Wi-Fi. 

I don't know how it is in your guys' countries but mine is pretty bad in terms of cellular data plan. I make it rule to never stream unless I really have to.

I'm in the Vancouver area as well. We just get hosed on data plans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back