Ancient Artifact-Fi
Oct 2, 2007 at 5:38 PM Post #16 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by braillediver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The stuff is mass produced in Egypt today.

And they are really good at it.
They've been doing it for more than 2000 years now...
biggrin.gif

Oct 2, 2007 at 11:25 PM Post #17 of 23
Quote:

After a few years of this, many foreign governments enacted laws to present such pillaging (at least the blatant, in-your-face, kind).

I'd lay odds that there are more Egyptian (and similar) antiquities in European museums and private collections than are in their original countries. If they hadn't been so huge, the pyramids would likely be sitting in Piccadilly Circus right now.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 2, 2007 at 11:50 PM Post #18 of 23
I won the ebay auction! ($75)

I now own an Egyptian necklace from circa 400 BC!!!

Now, to shop for some Roman coins. Ancient artifact-fi is fun :)

Oct 3, 2007 at 1:53 AM Post #19 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spareribs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I won the ebay auction! ($75)

I now own an Egyptian necklace from circa 400 BC!!!

Now, to shop for some Roman coins. Ancient artifact-fi is fun :)

Well, you sir are quite fearless. *I* would be terrified of the curse. You *did* know there was a curse? Oh...my...god!

Now, listen to me:

DO NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, PUT ON THE NECKLACE!

Oct 3, 2007 at 3:01 AM Post #20 of 23
I shall put on the necklace and I will be transformed into a spirit of higher powers. My life will greatly excel as the energy transfers into my body.

Oct 3, 2007 at 8:50 PM Post #22 of 23
My father's great grandmother had a large collection of ancient copper coins from the Indus River Valley region. She passed them on to all of her grandchildren, which means my father has 2 of them in his coin collection.

Back when I had a fascination with geology, archaeology and paleontology, I did my own fair share of searching. I found a trilobite fossil and a fossil leaf imprint, but I never found any human artifacts.

Oct 4, 2007 at 1:11 AM Post #23 of 23
Here's an interesting artice from ebay about ancient artifacts:

__________________________________________________ __________

While many people associate ancient artifacts with museums, some may not realize that there are artifacts available to private collectors. These artifacts are obtained from professional archaeological digs. Since many of these digs happen each year, there are infinitely more ancient artifacts available than the museums or other institutions can possibly store. The collecting of such artifacts is legal and even encouraged; a private collector may well be able to find ancient artifacts in good condition for his or her collection.

The techniques used for preserving ancient artifacts are as fascinating as the artifact's history. Although a number of preservation methods are available, the decision as to which process to use is dependent upon the nature of the specific site, as well as other important factors. Prior to choosing a preservation method, the researcher has to determine how the object was actually formed or crafted.

In some cases, a reproduction of the artifact is produced in order to gain insight into its preservation process. The recent advancements in computer and laser technology have enhanced these reproduction methods. As researchers gain an understanding of preservation through reproduction, more well preserved ancient artifacts have become available for purchase.

If you are considering adding ancient artifacts to your private collection, it is important to purchase these artifacts from a reputable dealer. The dealer should be a member of the International Association of Dealers in Ancient Art. Ancient coins, jewelry, pottery and idols are available. You can choose a collection of specific objects, or you can choose to focus on a specific period. The possibilities are endless!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Users who are viewing this thread

Back