Ancient Artifact-Fi
Oct 1, 2007 at 2:28 AM Post #3 of 23
It would be pretty cool knowing that an item in your house was in someone's house 2000+ years ago.

Makes me wonder what I have that would be worth a damn in 2000 years... Aside from my wit and charm of course...

GAD

Oct 1, 2007 at 2:45 AM Post #5 of 23
Don't you have enough with tube amps and vinyl???....
very_evil_smiley.gif

Oct 1, 2007 at 2:50 AM Post #6 of 23
I have been looking into this subject a lot lately. I am really interested in Greek/Roman statues, Egyptian subjects, and fossil skeletons. I would never do a real deal on any of them, last thing i want in my house is some dead dudes tomb...eeww i would buy replica's of small size though.
if i had the money i would do a full size replica of a Rex and a pack of raptors, of course if i had the room also. but that's a dream, more of dreaming one could have the money to do it. I find eBay a great place to look around for the fakes, i have bought a lot of fake art from there in the past..

spent a few hours last night looking for a place that does life size replica castings of Dino fossil's, hell the Museum's themselves use the fakes anyway..

speaking of which..

does anyone know the name of this Chica is?

Oct 1, 2007 at 3:48 AM Post #7 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by bhd812 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have been looking into this subject a lot lately. I am really interested in Greek/Roman statues, Egyptian subjects, and fossil skeletons. I would never do a real deal on any of them, last thing i want in my house is some dead dudes tomb...eeww

I think stuff from a mummy tomb would be fine. Stuff like jewelry, jars, ceramics, tables, chairs, etc... would be cool to have in the house for display purpose and there would be no sanitation issues since they would be thousands of years old.

I wouldn't be surprised if there are some people in Egypt who have stuff like this in their house since tombs were robbed in the past centuries.

Oct 1, 2007 at 4:23 AM Post #8 of 23
My father had a paleolithic flint dagger and a flint axe head a Norwegian friend of his gave him.

Unfortunately demand for Mesopotamian antiquities is leading to wide-scale looting of priceless archeological sites in lawless Iraq nowadays.

Oct 1, 2007 at 2:29 PM Post #10 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by GAD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Come to think of it, isn't it illegal for true artifacts to be exported in most cases?

GAD

That's a good question. I've seen artifacts from the BC era like beads and small statues being listed on ebay.

Oct 1, 2007 at 2:35 PM Post #11 of 23
i never bought anything ancient, when i was at primary school i did swap a hacky sack for some kids, 'family heirloom', it turned out to be a genuine roman coin, of a very old and ancient age.

not worth much...but tis the oldest thing i have!

Oct 1, 2007 at 3:43 PM Post #12 of 23
I've purchased some old, oxidized, bronze Roman rings, a Roman spear head, some ancient arrowheads from the middle east, and a prehistoric flint hand axe through ebay from a gallery in the Netherlands. The prices have seemed so reasonable, that it's hard not to suspect they're phonies, but from the photos of the retailer's brick and mortar location, and the displays of the antiquities they sell, the place seems legit. I would think that fraudulent sellers of this stuff would keep a much lower profile than this place.

I'm not sure of the legalities of it all, but I imagine there's more of this sort of product in circulation than people realize. I was recently reading about how in Siberia, with the ice/snow receeding like it has been, more and more fossils are being found. Scavengers are getting rich selling Mastadon tusks for $25,000 each and entire skeletons for up to half a million dollars.

Oct 1, 2007 at 11:50 PM Post #13 of 23
A few years back, I spent a day touring Hearst Castle located in San Simeon California. Built by William Randolph Hearst (and never completely finished), the castle is a monument to the type of cultural looting that took place after World War II. Hearst took it to a new level. For instance, he shipped entire ceilings and had them cut to fit his pre-existing structures. After a few years of this, many foreign governments enacted laws to present such pillaging (at least the blatant, in-your-face, kind).

That said, the castle is a true wonder on many levels. Words or pictures do *not* do it justice. (I shot well over 1000 frames that day.)

http://www.hearstcastle.com/

The castle and Hearst himself were the inspiration for Xanadu and Charles Foster Kane (respectively) in Orson Wells' seminal film Citizen Kane.

Oct 2, 2007 at 12:18 AM Post #14 of 23
I'm thinking about buying this Egyptian necklace from 400 BC being sold on ebay for approx. $100.
Right now, I'm the current bidder at $75. If I do win the bid, it would be great! It would be cool wearing a 2,000 year old Egyptian necklace.

http://cgi.ebay.ie/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?..._promot_widget

BTW, sligtly off topic, here's a fossil skull of a T Rex dinosaur approx. 75 million years old. The price is $295,000 on ebay. That would look awesome in the living room.

http://cgi.ebay.com/REAL-USA-T-REX-T...QQcmdZViewItem

Oct 2, 2007 at 9:13 AM Post #15 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spareribs /img/forum/go_quote.gif

BTW, sligtly off topic, here's a fossil skull of a T Rex dinosaur approx. 75 million years old. The price is $295,000 on ebay. That would look awesome in the living room.

http://cgi.ebay.com/REAL-USA-T-REX-T...QQcmdZViewItem

Been looking at that auction actually. I asked last week when I was at the Field Museum about sales and stuff. turns out museum's will do consulting or selling of replica Fossil's for a easy "donation". Museum's themselves use most castings or replica molds from the original fossil themselves for displays. it makes sense going this route just in the weight of the real deal compared to the weight of a cast. as far as spotting artifacts and smaller items..there is a little secret in knowing when a place is showing a fake from a real deal. look at how it's lit up, if you see fiber optic lighting or led's then chances are it's real. if you see halogen type then most likely it's a cast/fake.

I think it's great to have local museum's offer a consulting service after all if you can not trust them who can you? if you have the money to pay then giving a million or two for a donation is nothing compared to the price your looking to pay for most of this stuff. if anyone wants advice i think these people would point you in the right direction at least for free..

i have been thinking about something like this..
still what am i going to do with a 30inch long dino fossil..

yeah these are my headphones and then my computer area oh and this is a 30inch long velociraptor..yeah welcome to my place..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back