Ananda Stealth or.........
Mar 22, 2023 at 9:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

BShaw

500+ Head-Fier
Hey all - I'm mostly a speaker listener, but do enjoy my headphones for more private sessions, as such I've never invested too much on my HP setup. Currently using a Jot2 with HD650, Sundara V2, and until recently Grado 325x, fully balanced except the latter. But I just ordered a Liquid Platinum amp, and would like to step up a bit from the Sundaras, which I really love. My prime candidate is the Ananda stealth, which can be had for around $500 US open box from HFM. But before I commit, I would like to ask if anyone would consider another set of cans in the $500 range that might be another good choice? I really enjoy the Sundara sound and planars/ribbons in general, being also a RAAL tweeter owner and fan, so that's something to keep in mind. I sold the Grados because they were just too strident for my taste, and I love the 650s, but they're not my primary, I prefer the clarity, openness, and dynamics of the Sundara hands down.

I know all of these phones have been written about to the death, but I wanted to ask a more direct question. Thank you.

Bryan

Mar 22, 2023 at 10:28 AM Post #2 of 11
Meze 109 is phenomenal for a bit more.

Mar 22, 2023 at 1:31 PM Post #4 of 11
Yeah, I already know I love the sound of the Sundara, so it makes sense. I’m really fussy about everything in my system, but as far as cans go, I won’t obsess! Still would love to hear the 109s though, everything I hear is glowing.

Mar 26, 2023 at 12:44 PM Post #5 of 11
If a used meze 109 pro pops up, grab and go... don't look back. The imaging is amazing, synergizes with many different genres, too be honest, sounds best with my midfi gear and not better with higher end stuff (2000$ amp dac set up). I'm loving it with my little dot 2 and smsl sanskrit 6th edition...it is the weirdest and unlikely set up but the meze siiiings! Anyway, ymmv.

Mar 26, 2023 at 12:47 PM Post #6 of 11
If a used meze 109 pro pops up, grab and go... don't look back. The imaging is amazing, synergizes with many different genres, too be honest, sounds best with my midfi gear and not better with higher end stuff (2000$ amp dac set up). I'm loving it with my little dot 2 and smsl sanskrit 6th edition...it is the weirdest and unlikely set up but the meze siiiings! Anyway, ymmv.
Those are next on my list, I did end up with the Anandas, and I'm liking them very much, especially after I made a new set of XLRs for my HP amp - Mundorf silver/gold with AECO connectors, a stunning upgrade!

Mar 26, 2023 at 12:53 PM Post #7 of 11
Those are next on my list, I did end up with the Anandas, and I'm liking them very much, especially after I made a new set of XLRs for my HP amp - Mundorf silver/gold with AECO connectors, a stunning upgrade!
Niiiice! Ananda's are so nice! I haven't tried the stealth version but I've always regretted selling my Anandas. To me, they were reference level or gave the impression of it. At the price, it really can't be beat...I wonder how they compare with the 109s..I bet they'd be on the more clarity side side..my preferences wanted more coloration and I guess the 109s hit that spot. But it's been way too long to know exactly. I wonder sometimes if I just went around in a circle soundwise lol

Mar 26, 2023 at 1:02 PM Post #8 of 11
I love the clarity of them and the soundstage is fantastic. Not the warmest cans for sure, but not sterile or dry at all. I had some Meze 99s when they first came out and I really didn't like them, but I totally appreciate why people do. Not that the 109s are the same thing of course...........
I just bought a Monoprice-Cavalli Liquid Platinum, that should warm the Anandas up a wee bit, and they'll be a good match I think. If I could afford it I'd get some Aryas but for me right now this is reference, don't see myself spending 3K on an amp in the near future!

Mar 28, 2023 at 7:40 PM Post #9 of 11
I have owned the Ananda Stealth and they were one of the best headphones I have ever heard, but the comfort was so miserable I had to send them back, I wish Hifiman could give them the same headband as the Arya, then I would order them straight away.

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2023 at 8:20 PM Post #11 of 11
I have owned the Ananda Stealth and they were one of the best headphones I have ever heard, but the comfort was so miserable I had to send them back, I wish Hifiman could give them the same headband as the Arya, then I would order them straight away.
I'm glad this hasn't been the case, so far I don't find the headband annoying. Not the most comfie pair of cans I've owned, but not bad. when I switch to my 650s there's a definite uptick in comfort though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back