Analyze a songs frequency waveform
Mar 30, 2011 at 7:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Ankit1010

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I'm trying to find out exactly which headphones I want by comparing their frequency response (available online) to the frequencies that I identify as important and unimportant in the kinds of songs I listen to. So the second part is what I need help with. Does anyone know how I would go about doing this on a mac? I'm on sound studio right now, but I'm not sure the waveform I see for a song is the frequency waveform, and I dont know how to view exact units for the frequency I'm currently seeing.

Ideally, I'd like a solution that basically creates a 2d graph for a song, showing frequency vs time.

If nothing else, could someone explain exactly what the waveform I see means when I open a song in an audio editing program?

Mar 30, 2011 at 8:29 PM Post #2 of 4

Usually what you see in audio programs is how loud the track is in dB...
Sounds like you want to look at spectral frequency, I use adobe audition 3 for that... Not too sure if it's available on mac OS though...

Mar 31, 2011 at 4:24 PM Post #3 of 4
What monterto posted above is called a Spectrogram.

Another possibility are Spectrum Analyzers. They can calculate and visualize the frequency spectrum of the entire signal or of smaller chunks (for example in an audio player to visualize the frequency spectrum of the currently playing part of a track).

Apr 1, 2011 at 2:43 PM Post #4 of 4
Does anyone know of a program to perform a function similar to Audacity's "Export" function in the Plot Spectrum menu where it can output the frequency response in a text file? I ask because Audacity limits the graph to 237 seconds (why is this the case?) and I really need an average plot of the entire waveform longer than that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back