Analytical headphones
May 22, 2015 at 6:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Guppy_

100+ Head-Fier
Hey Fellow headfiers...

First and foremost, id like to thank ClieOS for bringing me into the IEM world and secondly to dbdynsty25 for selling me his DX90 overseas outside of CUSA and well, just going through that extra trouble!

I just received the dx90 from him and paired it with my trusty ER4Pt...  Holy mother of god!!! the details and clarity I have been missing because of using shi*** players... that tight bass! the treble!!! Soundstage!!! Christ... it is just unbelieveable...

Just finished listening to Muse - Piano thing  (all piano song)... Wow... the treble and clarity of the piano chords ! Then later, The Chromatics - Tick of the clock (Drive OST)... damn thattt synthhhhhhh gives me chills!!!
Any ho, on to business.

My DAP history:

Creative zen vision:m  (Still works, though borked usb connector won't allow me to put new music into it)
iPhone 3Gs
Creative Zen Xfi2 (Stolen)
iPhone 4 
Samsung Galaxy S4
LG G3 (damn dumbass headphone jack issue... made me think about considering a DAP and thank god for that!!!!)

IEM history:
Creative ep630, Head direct Re2, RE0, Etymotic MC5 and etymotic ER4PT (current)

So currently looking for over ear headphones to get a bigger soundstage and instrument separation (that and I no longer commute much, so I can "afford" to have something "not as portable" as an IEM)

As per dbdynsty25's recommendation:

1. Oppo PM-3
2. Audio Technica ATH-M50x

Does anyone else agree if not, what other recommendations based on the following:

1. my max budget would be $500... 

2. It has to be able to be driven by the DX90, so please don't say "Oh buy an AMP and then this" I will buy an amp down the road, just not now.
3. Analytical/Neutral sound.. Eg. no extra bass/treble/etc...  (being that i'm used to that in my IEM)   I understand that on a budget this is hard  (I think?).

(Ps. is analytical and neutral the same? :laugh: )
(PPS. i'm not dead set on spending that much, so if the ATH-m50x or anything else is "acquireable" for  $150s that is the M50x...)

edit2:  Got burnt on RE2 and RE0 twice on each model... 3.5mm connector went kaput and one drive failed me on the RE0.. Twice... so unless Head Direct has improved their QAQC (and from my brief searches it doesn't seem like it) I'm not considering anything head direct ATM.

edit3: No preference on open or closed back.

May 22, 2015 at 10:32 PM Post #2 of 8
First off, thank you for using easy to read paragraphs, haha. Compact posts are all too common, and all too annoying :p.

Analytical usually, IME, is a bit brighter than neutral for more perceived detail. Like AKG K701s.

That being said, some detail oriented cans in that range with a neutral sound would be AKG K7XX/Q701, Beyerdynamic DT880, Hifiman HE-400i, PSB M4U1, HD600 with good gear (scales up well). Can't think of anything else rn. I've heard only the Q701/M4U1 out of those.

The M50x is v-shaped (recessed mids), and closed in for my tastes. PM-3 is closed, but probably still great. Open cans I think are more likely to give you the stage and, well, open sound you want.

May 22, 2015 at 11:55 PM Post #6 of 8
The Beyerdynamic T90 is probably your best bet.

AKG K702 fits your needs very well (sonically), but it's much harder to drive.

DT880 250 ohm is a very solid pick as well, but harder to drive than T90, and probably not as detailed.

HD600s are pretty neutral headphones as well but their more cohesive nature and the slight mid-bass hump make them less appealing in this case.
Still a very good headphone, and just a tad easier to drive than DT880/250.

Best Luck!

May 23, 2015 at 7:57 PM Post #7 of 8
  DT880 is very analytical, for a great price. Although it does benefit from amping.

First off, thank you for using easy to read paragraphs, haha. Compact posts are all too common, and all too annoying :p.

Analytical usually, IME, is a bit brighter than neutral for more perceived detail. Like AKG K701s.

That being said, some detail oriented cans in that range with a neutral sound would be AKG K7XX/Q701, Beyerdynamic DT880, Hifiman HE-400i, PSB M4U1, HD600 with good gear (scales up well). Can't think of anything else rn. I've heard only the Q701/M4U1 out of those.

The M50x is v-shaped (recessed mids), and closed in for my tastes. PM-3 is closed, but probably still great. Open cans I think are more likely to give you the stage and, well, open sound you want.

HD600 all the way.

Analytical? It's either AKG or nothing. Anything from the K612 and above that fits the budget, pretty much.

DT880 250 ohm is a very solid pick as well, but harder to drive than T90, and probably not as detailed.

HD600s are pretty neutral headphones as well but their more cohesive nature and the slight mid-bass hump make them less appealing in this case.

Best Luck!

DT880 is very analytical, for a great price. Although it does benefit from amping.

HD600 all the way.

Analytical? It's either AKG or nothing. Anything from the K612 and above that fits the budget, pretty much.

Best Luck!

HD600 all the way.

Best Luck!

Aye. I too hate those long ass paragraphs, it even m

HD600 all the way.

Best Luck!

Aye it even makes reading easier, those long ass paragraphs are very annoying

HD600 all the way.

As per below, they seem a bit slightly heavy on the bass

Best Luck!

BD t90 is a wee bit of budget.
So consensus is AKG and DT8800

Couple of questions, what would I lose if I chose the 32 ohm versus the 250 or the 600???

Also, what sort of improvements will I look at going from IEM to over ear?

May 23, 2015 at 11:10 PM Post #8 of 8
250 ohm pro is usually the cheapest. Lower ohm is easier to drive usually. IEM is usually more closed in, but I think they can be a better value.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back