analogue-out cable for 1212m
May 29, 2005 at 8:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

stefan

100+ Head-Fier
Hi everyone,
I'm currently using an M-Audio Sonica USB, toslink, and Marantz CD17DA as the DAC. Performance is OK, a bit lacking in detail. Also Sonica does not support ASIO.

Reading up here I've decided to give an EMU 1212m a try. At the worst I can upgrade to a different standalone DAC later on.

I want to run the 1212 directly into my Class-A monoblocks, which have both unbalanced RCA and balanced XLR inputs. I see the 1212 has "balanced" outputs, so I'm interested in using XLR. The interconnect lengths between the PC and the amps would be about 5 metres.

Therefore I need a very good quality mono-jack to XLR male cable, with good shielding/noise rejection. Anyone know of any?
Ideally available in Europe, if not from the US is OK.

If not, anyone done DIY on this?

stefan

May 29, 2005 at 8:37 AM Post #3 of 6
Hi akwok,
Looks interesting, but I cannot find any reviews for it online. On the other hand, both the EMU 0404 and 1212m appear to be well-established solutions at a price point below RME and Lynx. Because I am not in a position to test before buying, I prefer to go with a "tried and tested" option -- either the 0404 with custom breakout cable or the 1212.
the 1212 is interesting because of the balanced outs.
stefan

May 30, 2005 at 3:32 PM Post #5 of 6
Try Zaolla.com

I have 1212M running to my Sunfire Classic and then to my monoblocks. Different setup than yours, but these cables are pretty nice. Solid silver core for non-crazy prices. I can probably get them cheaper for you and maybe mail labl;ed as gift for customs purposes.

DR. C

May 30, 2005 at 3:56 PM Post #6 of 6
Dr. C.

Thanks for that, they look NICE. And snake-oil free at the same time.
Thanks too for the offer of the postage... but no worries, I have family in the US and should be able to get them to handle the tax evasion bit.....
280smile.gif

stefan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back