An upgrade from the HD 650s
Jul 8, 2007 at 6:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Assorted

Headphoneus Supremus
It just occurred to me that I actually prefer the character of my PK2s. By all means, I would use the 650s over the PK2s any day, but it feels like my Senns aren't fast enough, a little bloated, uncrispy, and in general overwhelmingly dark.

I'm a mainly classical listener, mostly chamber music, so I'd like a soundstage wider than the 650s while maintaining the soundstage height, with nice crisp treble and a responsive bass. Just not as warm and lush sounding as the 650s.

I've tried some home-grade amps and I'm sure my Senn's just aren't being adequately amped with my regular rig (out of a H/K reciever), but since I'm not planning to buy an expensive home-grade amp, the headphones should be easier to drive.

My price range would be less than $400, but if somebody can persuade me with the Denon D5000 I would like to hear it. It is essential that the headphones are closed.

Thanks for reading!

Jul 8, 2007 at 6:45 AM Post #2 of 15
The D5000s won't float your boat either with classical. They do not have a wider soundstage than the HD650s, and they definitely do not portray soundstage height realistically. The bass response is pretty good, but I'm not sure it's all that different from the HD650s bass response to warrant the change.

They will certainly sound louder from your receiver because of their higher sensitivity and lower impedance. Also, realistic timbre-reproduction is not one of the D5000's fortes. They are not bad, but not great either.

In your price range, good closed headphones for classical music is almost non-existent.

Jul 8, 2007 at 6:50 AM Post #3 of 15
D5000 or W5000 seem to be your best bet for a closed headphone with a wide sound stage. this is based purely on what i have read here as i do not own either.

Jul 8, 2007 at 7:00 AM Post #4 of 15
As you mostly listen to classical music I am pretty sure than an electrostatic headphone will suit you very well. I suggest the Stax SR-404, which can be bought new for around $350.

Edit: Scrap that.
I totally missed the "It is essential that the headphones are closed" part.

Jul 8, 2007 at 10:09 AM Post #5 of 15
The D2000 is not really as good as 650 for classical, 650 is a bit better, IMO this is the only place where 650 is clearly better than D2000. maybe the D5000 is a bit better for classical. I'm not sure if there is a closed headphone with as good soundstage as D2000 in it's pricerange.

Jul 8, 2007 at 2:29 PM Post #6 of 15
HD650 are considered to have a very nice sound stage for an open can. Is there even such a closed magical headphone that can come close to HD650 sound stage at all and under 400$? ;p

Jul 8, 2007 at 6:30 PM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Assorted /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So the W5000 would be considered an upgrade?

*scratch the under $400 part

More like a sidestep. You'll get a crisper image with superb details, true 3-D soundstage, speed, and textured and detailed bass (quantity will be less than HD650 though). They are also quite finicky to amplification.
In the end properly driven recabled HD650 might be a better choice for classical.

Jul 8, 2007 at 6:39 PM Post #9 of 15
As an owner of HD650 and having listened to W5000s for some time in the last Chicago meet, I cannot say that W5000s are an upgrade. I can see some people would pick one over the other because of different reasons (apart from the cost), especially if proper amping is there. They have a totally different sound signature, and the one of W5000 might be the sound you are looking for and to your ears it will be a big upgrade. Audio Technica is not as warm, the treble is great, can be fatiguing over some long time, sound stage is huge with an airy sound. I can see that HD650s and W5000s can complement each other very nicely. However, depending on your description, W5000s seem to be better suited for you than HD650s, if you will have one and only can.

BTW, audio technicas are not difficult to drive, but they also benefit from proper amping, you can also read more about this in the amp section of the forum. I could hear some differences from different amps, and I think W5000s prefer tubes somewhere, maybe because of their highs and less bass compared to Senns, they require some warmth in the signal chain. Never listened to them from a HA5000 though. People claim that they are made for each other.

Jul 8, 2007 at 7:11 PM Post #11 of 15
Darn; I wish I knew what the soundstage on the HD650 was like. And having never heard the HD650 I'm a little hesitant in even mentioning this. But I'll mention what works for ME, so please take it as if were spoken in a vacuum with no relation to anything else.

What works for me for chamber music would not be considered, compared to HD650, a forward step or even a side-step, but maybe even a step backward, but I flip a coin between HD600 and Alessandro MS2i for chamber. If I want to listen at a distance, the HD600 is the choice. If I want to be right there turning pages for the Harpsichordist in Baroque, I reach for the MS2i.

Even being used to the much brighter MS2i; I can jump to HD600 and not notice the infamous darkness. I read a lot on the differences between the HD650 and the HD600, and for my taste in music, with my system and my ears, the HD600 seemed to be best bet for my particular situation.

Perhaps you may wish to take a closer look at the humble HD600 as well.

Jul 8, 2007 at 9:37 PM Post #12 of 15
For what it's worth, here's a small thread I started comparing an unamped HD650+Zu to a Denon D5000 and other phones. Lesson = HD650 needs to be amped for a fair comparison. But the output of the D5000 is discussed in terms of classical music. Skylab and 003 both have other brief D5000/HD650 comparisons in the follow-up posts to their D5000 reviews/comparisons.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=249475

Jul 8, 2007 at 10:03 PM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by splawren /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For what it's worth, here's a small thread I started comparing an unamped HD650+Zu to a Denon D5000 and other phones. Lesson = HD650 needs to be amped for a fair comparison. But the output of the D5000 is discussed in terms of classical music. Skylab and 003 both have other brief D5000/HD650 comparisons in the follow-up posts to their D5000 reviews/comparisons.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=249475

Just what I needed, thank you, and thanks for everybody else's insight
biggrin.gif

Jul 8, 2007 at 11:00 PM Post #15 of 15
Yeah... err I would avoid the D5000 for classical. Only things that really come to mind, are the W5000 and CD3000. What about the W1000? Never heard it though.

That bit about "must be closed" really messes things up. And the "under $400".

Now if you would just add an extra zero to that 400, that would be easy, an R10. If the HD650 works other than the fact that you don't like the sound, then I suggest another open headphone, such as the K501.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back