An upgrade from Audinst hud-MX1 USB DAC to something better? (Sennheiser HD 650)
Feb 9, 2016 at 12:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

escalibur

100+ Head-Fier
Hello everyone!

I've been using hud-mx1 USB DAC for a couple of years now and I would like to 'experiment' with some better DAC. The number of different choices is way too large to find out about every DAC available so I would need your help.

What I'm using now:

- Audinst hud-MX1 USB DAC plugged into my motherboard via USB (no drivers/ Win 10 native USB drivers)
- Sennheiser HD 650 cans

Purpose:

- Spotify Premium
- Gaming
- FLACs

My requirements:

- USB
- Physical volume knob
- No drivers (if possible)
- Natural sound
- Rather small physical size

Budget: ~600€

Yulong D200 has been the most interesting DAC I've found so far. Matrix mini-i 2015 non Pro could also be good. To be honest I don't need speaker outputs nor DSD so D200 feels a bit 'paying for something I probably wont use for a very long time'.

Opinions?

Feb 9, 2016 at 1:05 PM Post #2 of 18
Amps

Project Polaris or Ember II
Schiit Valhalla or Lyr 2
O2 or Magni 2 Uber
Asus STX sound card

DACs

ODAC
Modi 2
Asus STX sound card

Combos

The Element
O2 ODAC
Schiit Stack
Asus STU or Essence One

Feb 9, 2016 at 5:07 PM Post #3 of 18
Thanks for the reply. I think combo is definitely something I'm looking for atm.

Feb 11, 2016 at 3:16 AM Post #4 of 18
Has anyone of you upgraded from something similar to Audinst hud-mx1 to Yulong D200?

Feb 12, 2016 at 2:55 AM Post #6 of 18
You are right. Yulong is not worth the risk if something happens and I need to send it back etc..

So far the most interesting one I found is Asus Essence One MKII Muses Edition. Should be solid upgrade even it has a lot of features I don't need at this point.

Feb 12, 2016 at 3:04 AM Post #7 of 18
Asus Essence One Muses MKII should be good. The amp won't be the best. And the DAC is coloured. But it is a decent overall package.

If you don't want a combo, I'd recommend you get Project Polaris for an amp and Asus STX sound card as your DAC.

Feb 12, 2016 at 3:26 AM Post #8 of 18
Ok. I don't want any sound cards because i might use 2 graphic cards on my MB so I might not have enough space for it. Also I prefer external DACs in general.

Schiit Audio Bifrost could be OK choice instead of Asus but missing physical volume knob is a big minus but the sound is what matters after all. :)

Feb 12, 2016 at 3:33 AM Post #9 of 18
Asus Essence One Muses MKII is a competitor to Gungnir not Bifrost, as far as the DAC alone is concerned. But Schiit might be slightly more neutral.

MKII Muses is a decent bet. But an O2 ODAC won't be ver far off either.

DACs don't make much/any difference beyond a point.

And the Asus Amp is a secondary feature. So an O2 should be as good as the amp within the Asus.

Of course a Lyr 2 or Mjolnir Amp will be better than the Asus Amp. As would Project Polaris.

I suggest go with Project Polaris and ODAC/iPhone/IPod.

If you only want a combo, the Asus is a good option. How much are you getting it for?

Feb 12, 2016 at 3:55 AM Post #10 of 18
Asus would be around 800€ which is quite a lot for a DAC considering that I wont be using DSD, other than headphone outputs etc...

After doing some research I have a feeling that O2 ODAC could be the best choice for me without paying anything extra for the features I won't use anyway. ODAC is around $300 + shipping + 24% taxes for Finland etc. It is not 'free' but probably smarter choice than 800€ DAC. Now another thing is that I cant test ODAC before buying it because it would be nice to hear is there really any difference compared to my current HUD-mx1.

Feb 12, 2016 at 4:02 AM Post #11 of 18
I haven't used O2 ODAC. I have used STX and Muses I (very similar to muses 2 without DSD)

STX is similar to O2 ODAC. O2 may be a bit better.

There may be a difference between these setups but probably not worth the price difference.

O2 ODAC will be more neutral than Asus Muses.

O2 ODAC is a good bet.

Feb 12, 2016 at 4:07 AM Post #12 of 18
An important difference between STX and ODAC is also the drivers. The less the better because we all know that drivers' development wont last forever,

Feb 12, 2016 at 4:09 AM Post #13 of 18
STX drivers are fine. They are okay for Windows 10. The next Windows is several years away. And chances are Windows 10 drivers would still work with the new OS if it were to release in just 1-2 years from now.

STX is more capable than the ODAC but that won't be audible. And of course the STX has far more features etc.

Feb 12, 2016 at 4:22 AM Post #14 of 18
Yeah I'm aware that STX is in good shape atm but still when I have chance to choose USB version then I want to play safe. :) Now I'm thinking would The Element be better than ODAC revB after all? According to the specs there shouldnt be hearable difference though The Element looks bit better in my opinion.

Feb 12, 2016 at 6:15 AM Post #15 of 18
O2 ODAC will be at least as neutral if not more than The Element.

If you're getting from USA, get the O2 ODAC from Mayflower Electronics. That way you get 10 years warranty.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back