An SACD Adventure
Jan 13, 2009 at 10:14 AM Post #16 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by pbarach /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are some people who find no difference between redbook cd and 2-channel SACD, and others who hear differences. But is there any credible authority who says that redbook is better than 2-channel SACD?

Well, I suppose that depends on what you define as "credible", but I have read some crazy claims, including that (and, even claims that MP3s of a CD sound better than the original CD.)

There are certainly a number of people who claim that multi-channel SACD is inferior to Redbook CDs.

My personal preference (for good performances and mastering) is

multi-channel SACD > 2-channel SACD > Redbook CD

Jan 13, 2009 at 12:39 PM Post #17 of 23
I find that the superiority of 2-channel SACD to CD is subtle but noticeable on most recordings.

Whether that is simply due to better mastering or some inherent feature of the SACD format, I am not expert enough to say.

I personally use a Marantz SA-8001, which I am mostly happy with (it has great sound quality, but I dislike some of its functionality, like the fast forward which is so slow as to be utterly useless).

However, if I were in the market today, I would take a serious look at the new Sony XA5400ES. Based on the few reviews I've read, it sounds like this player can hold its own against even the very expensive boutique players, yet it costs "only" $1,500.

Jan 13, 2009 at 7:01 PM Post #18 of 23
pbarach
I am not sure I know how your question relates to my point.

Fwiw, I find a very clear difference between SACD and redbook CD and am surprised people would deny one. Are such people saying that the best redbook players will remove any difference, or that the same hybrid CD will sound no better in the SACD layer as in the CD layer? Or something else?

Jan 13, 2009 at 9:59 PM Post #19 of 23
I spent a lot of time researching a multichannel setup years ago. Ended up w/ a Denon 2200 and Pio Elite 45TX. I can definitely tell the difference between a 2 channel CD and a SACD or DVDA of the same version. Is it worth the hassle now? That's a judgement call. I'm more happy now with my 2 channel tube set up, which includes a tube CD player. If I were to shop now, I'd buy a better Redbook player or higher end tube CD player.

As others mentioned, it depends on your musical taste. I'm more of a jazz, R&B, latin music person, most of the stuff I found is classical to some classic rock. For my musical tastes, there's not enough source material. I did buy Hotel California on DVDA and that's sounds PHENOMENAL. I even played it in 2 channel analog mode on my tube setup and it's probably one of the best recordings I have.

Jan 26, 2009 at 5:21 AM Post #20 of 23
I've had two universals: the Denon 3910, and now the Bel Canto PL2. In both cases, there were clear differences between redbook and SACD layers, mostly in smoother, more liquid and dynamic sound from SACD layer, of course depending on recording. But I also agree with the latest posts, most SACD media is classical or classic rock. Because I am a musical omnivore, I am hesitant to say SACD is a no brainer despite lower prices for equipment, since the variety in software is not there. And though I still do buy SACDs now and again, I find myself listening less to SACD and more often to vinyl.

Jan 26, 2009 at 11:50 PM Post #21 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Music Fanatic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
(the 983H converts to PCM first before outputing SACDs, while the other two transfer SACDs as DSD)

Is the conversion to PCM mathematically lossless?

Also, do these players have hardware error correction to make sure that the streams that they put out over HDMI is free from reading errors and the such?

Jan 27, 2009 at 12:16 AM Post #22 of 23
If money is no object, then it ill never get better than this player. Here is a review of Alex Peychev's World Class CD Player

Probably none of us can afford it but it sure is nice to dream. Alex's work is brilliant. I know. I used to own one of his highly modified Denon 3910 $5000 players. I hated when I had to part with it. i could not afford to keep it. I got every dime I spent back because his waiting line goes far down the road.

Sorry for getting off topic.
evil_smiley.gif

6moons audio reviews: APL HiFi NWO 3.0-GO
k701smile.gif

Jan 27, 2009 at 12:20 AM Post #23 of 23
Having owned two SCD-1s, one modded and one stock, back when they were all the rage; they are built like a tank and quite good. That said, get a used XA777ES, it too is well-built (mine going on 5 years of constant use). It's SACD section rivals that of the SCD-1 and it has a very nice multi-channel section. These can be had for about $750-900 used on A'gon and are a safe purchase, that will reveal the true value of SACD.

Other choices include the big Marantz and Cary 306 Professional, but they are more money, although again, you can find the SA series Marantz quite often used.

I don't think it's worthwhile going much lower in the food chain, as the lesser Sony's are not nearly as good sounding as the either the SCD-1 or XA777; both of which received Sterophile 'A' ratings.

One caveat: Redbook is so-so from both of these, so you are going to need a good DAC for regular CDs

Users who are viewing this thread

Back