An over-ear, closed headphone recommendation for a Grado fan < $150
Aug 27, 2016 at 5:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

rhz

New Head-Fier
Hi, Everyone.

I am looking for a new pair of headphones to use in an office.  I very much enjoy the neutrality and comfort of my Grado SR-60 open headphones, but the noise leakage would be problematic at work. 

I am looking for a new pair of headphones that (mostly) satisfy the following criteria:

Source Compatibility: I have a FiiO E10K USB DAC and Headphone Amplifier which I use with the Grados.  At work I have a Macbook pro which I have used to directly drive the Grado headphones and found the sound acceptable (albeit perhaps slightly more shrill than with the fiio headphone amp).  I'd like the new headphones to give good performance with either source.  I listen to rock, jazz, blues, country, and sometimes classical.

Comfort: I can wear my Grado headphones for hours without feeling like I have something heavy on my head and without developing red-ears from an overly tight grip.

Sound: While different people may perceive "neutrality" differently, I enjoy the balanced, even sound of the Grado headphones.  A little deeper bass would be welcome, but only if it is, natural, well-defined and not exaggerated in any way.

Portability: I would probably want the ability to carry these home with me, possibly on a daily basis.  If they fold up to something compact and have a decent protective case, that would be great.

Durability: I may be transporting these in a backpack to work and back, so they should be fairly sturdy.  A detachable cord is a plus.

Noise Leakage: This is very important.  I have a quiet office environment and, while I don't blast music, I do sometimes listen at a fairly loud volume.

Cost: Given the sources I'm using, I'm not sure what benefit a very high-end pair of headphones would provide.  I am willing to spend about $75- $150.  

My initial research identified the Audio Technica ATH-M40(x) or M50(x) as candidates.  Can anyone comment on those headphones in light of my desires and/or add to the list?

Thank you very much!

I appreciate everyone's help.

RhZ.

Aug 27, 2016 at 11:21 PM Post #2 of 4
The Audio Technica M50X is an excellent headphone that I think you would really enjoy that meets your criteria nicely.

These AKG's are also a nice option for a good price too :) https://www.amazon.com/AKG-Pro-Audio-K167-Headphones/dp/B009GOGO8I/ref=sr_1_4?s=aht&ie=UTF8&qid=1472354310&sr=1-4&keywords=akg&refinements=p_n_feature_three_browse-bin%3A12097499011

Aug 28, 2016 at 12:37 PM Post #3 of 4
Thanks.  I'm very curious about the differences between the m40x and the m50x.  I have a suspicion that the m40x would be better for me--lighter (but still a full 240g vs 124g for the Grados I own) and apparently more neutral.

Aug 28, 2016 at 8:15 PM Post #4 of 4
The M40's will be a little lighter, but thats because they have a smaller driver size, which would produce less sound, most notable in the bass range. Its really about what you want at this point, but if it were me, I'd pick the one with the larger driver, but then again I am a basshead so ya, I like my bass lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back