an opinion about this site from another....
Oct 3, 2009 at 8:57 AM Post #16 of 30
Everyone is allowed to have their own opinion.
wink.gif

Oct 3, 2009 at 1:16 PM Post #17 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by foreverfi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I do agree with you, I think the best player is when you listen to the music you forget you are playing through the audio rigs.

x2

Oct 3, 2009 at 1:20 PM Post #18 of 30
Why on earth are we discussing about a poster that is not aware of OFC cables when these have been in the market for decades?

iLounge is a highly biased page...

Since I first joined Head-Fi I have increased my on-the-move listening experience by a milestone!

Thank you Head-Fi & Headfiers !!!

Oct 3, 2009 at 1:26 PM Post #19 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Blood_Raven /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That is not what I meant. To make the music you like sound better so you can enjoy the music more is great. I have a problem when people listen to their equipment and, rather than enjoy the actual piece of music, they enjoy how it sounds from the said equipment.

Music is about emotion, artistry, and wonder. It is not about how well that cello sounds with those new custom cables or how the highs are just perfectly balanced between harsh and rolled off. If you pick apart a piece of art then you aren't truly experiencing art, only pieces of it and not the art as a whole, this is not the intended purpose for any art much less music.

beerchug.gif
L3000.gif

Exactly...

The journey is the real value...

And since "perfect sound" reproduced from less than perfect equipment will never ever be reached, the journey will be a long one!

Let's Enjoy!!!

Oct 3, 2009 at 2:11 PM Post #21 of 30
I think it was a funny comment because it was heavily biased, unfair, but it had some actual truth to it. This site can be overwhelming if you aren't up to the challenge.

Oct 3, 2009 at 2:22 PM Post #22 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by thisbenjamin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you inferring the quote is somehow inaccurate?

I think that he was "implying" that the quote wasn't accurate. You apparently "inferred" that the site devoted to the apotheosis of audio hi fidelity--the solid state ipod--was a cogent authority on all of the things that we discuss and explore here.
angry_face.gif

Oct 3, 2009 at 2:23 PM Post #23 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by avid666 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey man, its implying, we need to be accurate here.

Well spotted. I posted before I read your reply.

Oct 3, 2009 at 2:34 PM Post #24 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by CENTRAL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Since I first joined Head-Fi I have increased my on-the-move listening experience by a milestone!

Thank you Head-Fi & Headfiers !!!

There is definitely some good stuff on Head-fi to get you pointed in the right direction. The important thing for anyone new here to recognize is which hardware will yield realistic bang for the buck improvements....and which are the pursuance of audio Shangri-la.

Once you can discern the difference between the two, your Head-fi experience will be much more fulfilling.

Oct 3, 2009 at 2:52 PM Post #25 of 30
To the OP, that is a great quote!

Oct 3, 2009 at 2:57 PM Post #26 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by sno1man /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...", and that paying some guy $500 to recable them with "oxygen free copper" (no such thing) or silver and boy that really opened up the mids, .."

That guys clearly have no idea what he talks about. So I do not see any reason why we should listen to him at all...
wink_face.gif

Oxygen-free copper - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Oct 3, 2009 at 3:44 PM Post #27 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That guys clearly have no idea what he talks about. So I do not see any reason why we should listen to him at all...
wink_face.gif

Oxygen-free copper - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Actually, the guy is kind of right. As long as there is still a tiny, tiny bit of oxygen left in copper (even if it is as low as 0.001%) it is simply not oxygen free.
wink.gif

Oct 3, 2009 at 4:18 PM Post #28 of 30
Quote:

If you pick apart a piece of art then you aren't truly experiencing art, only pieces of it and not the art as a whole, this is not the intended purpose for any art much less music.

I disagree. Literature is art, and any good literature can be explored very deeply, into its minute details to truly appreciate the efforts the author has gone into creating something brilliant. I don't think it's just literature either. A great painting... first may you just look at it... take it in... memorize it. Then you look for the details, the positioning, the contrast/lack of contrast in lines and colours and shapes. To truly enjoy art, you NEED to get into its nitty gritty. Especially for a movie, which begs it's audience every time to pick it apart. A good movie asks you to think about the emotions of the characters and how they should act, and whether it seems realistic, or if it's supposed to be unrealistic. And really, it's the same for music. It's the reason anyone wants fidelity in their music... They want to hear exactly what the artist put so much time into composing... hear his or her ideas, and not have them be distorted by faulty equipment. Be able to feel the vibrations created by the sheer power of some instruments be contrasted with the frivolity of the more elegant ones. If you don't answer to yourself why the artist put this part of the music there, even on a very minimal level of consciousness (big sound exciting! Violin solo saaad) then I dare say you shame the artist. Of course you should just be enjoying the whole and overall product of the music, but you should have some ability to appreciate the parts of it that make it beautiful and different from others. Like someone who eats a grand feast doesn't want all the potatoes carrots and turkey in some same coloured slop or cube... They want to taste each part individually, and after the meal feel they've truly enjoyed the variety involved in the sum of the meal's parts.

That's my rant.

Also, the quoted post in the OP is pretty accurate. If you're not careful, you'll end up spending a lot of money on things that don't make any difference listening to the majority of head-fi. Head-fi is a good place to find the latest gadgets and gizmos, but you really gotta do the research on those things somewhere else, unless you like the restaurant style review of electrical equipment offered here.

Oct 3, 2009 at 6:35 PM Post #29 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by fraqture /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually, the guy is kind of right. As long as there is still a tiny, tiny bit of oxygen left in copper (even if it is as low as 0.001%) it is simply not oxygen free.
wink.gif

And to be practical since the amount of oxygen in there is so miniscule, we can just use the term to approximately describe it as OFC. It may not be 100% accurate, but at 99.999%, it really won't matter much to most people.

Either way, the commenter clearly has issues that require our "professional help".
L3000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back