An open letter to Sony
Mar 15, 2011 at 11:10 AM Post #77 of 96
Sony needs to innovate.
Easier said than done, of course. Right now what is to be invented has been invented, aside from hologram televisions (or 3D-TV that doesn't need powered shutter glasses). Unless you are working in the medical domain, that or CERN, technology can probably stop right now. Although 300K superconductors would be nice, your hydro companies won't be happy.
Back in the 80's Sony can make a turntable Walkman. Things today is with microtransistors. Moore's Law or not, one day we'll see Core i7 in portable devices. Of course, such power would be useless unless the device can project a spherical hologram in mid-air.
But seriously though. Somebody find a way to bring down the cost of solid-state media, please. We can already put movies on a card, it's just that the card is insanely expensive for what it holds. Then we can scrap those reflective circular discs called CDs or BDs.
We've came all the way from relays to ICs. What's next? If Sony can introduce awesomeness such as Betamax and DAT ten, fifteen (Betamax being earlier) years ago, then it can introduce some equally awesome stuff today. Sony can just make up the MD format out of nowhere, why not something else?

Mar 15, 2011 at 7:49 PM Post #78 of 96
Reminded me of an "open letter to santa" from a 5 years old.

I lost hope in sony a while ago. is one of those huge companies that charge 30% for the product and 70% for advertising+the name.

although the sony V6 made me eat my words recently.... they just release too much "crap" with their name on and too little "real products"

Mar 16, 2011 at 1:10 AM Post #80 of 96
I am going to need your email address...

Sep 20, 2011 at 12:35 PM Post #84 of 96
Will they ever learn?
http://anythingbutipod.com/2011/09/sony-z1000-android-media-player-announced-in-japan/

No tactile controls (except for volume), no SD slot, no FLAC (although with Android that can likely be hacked/fixed).  The 64GB version will likely never see the light of day in the States. 

The form factor is sexy, but I still can't see a reason to pick this up over the D3 (or J3 for that matter).  It will be interesting to hear how it sounds.

Sep 28, 2011 at 9:44 AM Post #85 of 96

Quote:
Will they ever learn?
http://anythingbutipod.com/2011/09/sony-z1000-android-media-player-announced-in-japan/

No tactile controls (except for volume), no SD slot, no FLAC (although with Android that can likely be hacked/fixed).  The 64GB version will likely never see the light of day in the States. 

The form factor is sexy, but I still can't see a reason to pick this up over the D3 (or J3 for that matter).  It will be interesting to hear how it sounds.

Sony's portable electronics division in the States has pretty much been on life support in the past year or so: They sell new models in other countries while its US subsidiary is stuck with previous-generation (some models even two or three generations old) small-capacity units.

Sep 28, 2011 at 5:52 PM Post #86 of 96
It is possible that Sony do actually take some notice of discussions such as this one, even if they don't respond to individual communications.

Some of you may be aware that Sony purchased and continued producing the Minolta line of DLSR cameras.  Over time, some functionality of newer models was crippled for no good reason (just through firmware in some cases), which lead to some heated discussions on dyxum and other A-mount forums.  There were many "Why I'm jumping ship" type threads, as well as lots of constructive criticism as to what people actually wanted from their Sony DSLRs.  

More recent models have seen many of these features re-introduced, as well as other wished for features being added.  Maybe it was just a co-incidence, but it was what the user base wanted, and mostly it happened.

Kudos to the OP for making the effort, and for posting his experiences here.  If you don't ask, you don't stand a chance of getting, however slim.  Sony may not be out to cater for small minorities with ultra-exacting standards that some head-fiers might demand, but I'd be surprised if this stuff doesn't filter down at some level.

Sep 28, 2011 at 10:56 PM Post #87 of 96

Quote:
  Sony may not be out to cater for small minorities with ultra-exacting standards that some head-fiers might demand, but I'd be surprised if this stuff doesn't filter down at some level.

I think it was a huge hit in the mail room at Sony in Peoria, IL. 

Sony have somewhat bigger fish to fry, having enraged millions of obese gamers by pulling the plug on their Playstation Network when they realised 12-year olds were stealing confidential data.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4UmXQCInbA

I suspect that the suits at Sony Corp would view Head-Fiers in much the same way as they view this poor guy. 

Oct 9, 2011 at 11:03 AM Post #89 of 96
I'm happy with my Sonys..they've certainly improved since 2008's S639.

Better battery life, better screen technology, playlists etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back