An open letter to Sony
Jan 18, 2011 at 8:12 PM Post #16 of 96
Yall can say what you want.............but I really enjoy my Sony Walkman.  My kids have the  I-pod Touch, and shuttle.  My wife has the I-pod Nano 5th gen, and I used to own a Clip +.  All of the players have their strong points and down falls............but, I can tell you right now............NON of them sound better than the Sony.  Thats a fact.  The Walkman has numerous sound enhancements that really work.  As far as an expansion card or other features..........yeah, Sony may be beat.  But if you want a great sounding player, I doubt you will find one better for the $70 I spent.  Maybe if you rockbox something, but straight out of the package, forget it.  What good are a ton of features in an MP3 player if the sound is meh?  And why should I have to ADD software to make it sound great?

Sony gets two thumbs up from me for SQ and battery life.  

Jan 18, 2011 at 8:25 PM Post #17 of 96
I agree on the SQ and battery life, but they never listen to ANY customer about capacity, features, even when it comes to giving us FW updates. I won't even get a Sony phone as their so behind the times - they suck.

Jan 18, 2011 at 8:34 PM Post #18 of 96

Quote:
I agree on the SQ and battery life, but they never listen to ANY customer about capacity, features, even when it comes to giving us FW updates. I won't even get a Sony phone as their so behind the times - they suck.

Well,  how much would you expect to pay for all the extras?  You sure wont get it for close to $70.  I-pod charges a premium for technology, but still falls short at their price range.  Just saying........its all subjective.  I bought my player for music only......some want other features.  I have my droid phone for that............which I use strictly for business by the way.  

Jan 18, 2011 at 8:50 PM Post #20 of 96
Those who have experienced the frustration of working in a technical role where product decisions are made by Marketing buffoons can empathise with the engineers at Sony. You do your level best, but its all subject to the whims of people who are clueless. I would be very surprised if any of the open letter reached the people who would even know one Sony DAP from another beyond the packaging.

Jan 18, 2011 at 9:15 PM Post #23 of 96
The only product I want from Sony is their R-10 headphone.  Everything else I can find another brand that can do better.

Jan 18, 2011 at 9:28 PM Post #24 of 96

Quote:
The only product I want from Sony is their R-10 headphone.  Everything else I can find another brand that can do better.

As I said......its subjective.  I wouldnt trade my Walkman for anything I have in house.  Seriously.  

Have a good evening. 

Jan 18, 2011 at 11:18 PM Post #25 of 96
Sony make some very good A/V receivers, and I also think the PS3 was ahead of its time. There is simply no way that the current management would OK something like the R10, and I'm doubtful whether many of them would be willing to take a chance on another 'PS3' : the console reportedly didnt start making any money for several years after its introduction, largely because Sony didnt know how to market it.

Inject some of the better marketers from Apple into Sony, change the culture to *embrace* change and you would have a manufacturing juggernaut capable of great things, IMO.

Jan 19, 2011 at 4:02 PM Post #27 of 96

Quote:
Quote:
erm yes it is, AMP3 has it http://www.advancedmp3players.co.uk/shop/MP3_Players.1/Sony.76/NWZ-A847B.CEW/Sony_NWZ-A847_64GB_WALKMAN_MP3_Player.4667.html

i do believe they are quite happy to ship stuff to the US too

Yes, they do ship to the US, but those models are volume capped, and I can't see anyone wanting a volume-cRapped anything.

ahh, thats a bit crap.  though i do need to just point out its not an EU law its a french one.  its just that companys are lazy and wont make a frog only one.  why they just dont simply not sell it in frog land i have no clue as i cant imagine its bigger market than the US is.

Jan 19, 2011 at 9:15 PM Post #29 of 96

Quote:
Obviously, Sony can't make much profit from the old X series.  Sony is more towards style and trend rather than serious listening

Then I guess you've never listened to a Sony Walkman mp3 player - or you would have never made such an incorrect statement. Sony IS SQ,...

Jan 19, 2011 at 9:59 PM Post #30 of 96
I'm with nytwytboy - whatever marketing BS Sony might like to pull, the X series was as good as any mass-market DAP mentioned in this forum. At the price Sony charged for them, they would want to be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back