An Observation about the HF-1
Oct 21, 2005 at 11:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

roy_jones

500+ Head-Fier
I've observed something in a lot of the reviews for the HF-1 that has caused to pause and consider waiting to see if they start showing up on the used market in a couple of months.

A lot of people will comment that they are not as advanced, or technically proficient, in terms of SQ, as some other headphones they've got- but that they like the HF-1 in terms of "fun", and because they're "engaging" and other such qualities that aren't really SQ related...or if they are, they're very loosely SQ related.

Whenever I hear people describe something in those kind of terms, that "it's not as technically good as this-or-that headphone, but I 'like' it more..." it makes me think that this is going to eventually wear off, and that those owners will eventually revert to their obsessive-compulsive need to analyze sound on purely sonic merits, and decide that the FOTM's novelty doesn't hold up.

Is this incorrect? I've certainly also read enough glowing reviews of the headphone, so I'm not suggesting that the issue is with the cans themselves. But just where it places on the relative food-chain...once some of the novelty wears off...if we're assuming that the objective SQ is the most reliable long-term criteria of how a headphone will hold its value over time.
confused.gif

I kind of expect that the explanation as to the reason why some people could enjoy it more, even though objectively it is slightly less technically proficient, is that it boils down to a 'personality' thing. Basically that the warmth added by the wood driver housing, as well as the tamed highs offer a 'personality' that is more appealing to some Grado users- that ultimately compensates in terms of overall enjoyment for the deficit it might experience in things like bass and treble extension, or other such qualities.

Oct 21, 2005 at 12:07 PM Post #3 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by acs236
To sum up, what your saying is (perhaps in reverse?) is that it sounds like people are telling you that the HF-1 has a nice personality?
biggrin.gif

Nice enough to ask on a second date, at least
biggrin.gif
rs1smile.gif

Errr yeah, in all seriousness, I think that there probably is a level FOTM-ness going on with the HF-1s, and there are probably people who bought into them just because they're limited, but I also think that it's incorrect to assert that their "novelty" will wear off for a supposed lack of SQ.

After all, they sound wonderful to me. Not that I have any other "audiophile" cans to compare them to, but I like what I hear from them. And that, I think, is all that really matters (for any one user, that is: if you like the sound, then it must sound good, right?).
IMNSHO, there's an error in assuming that objective SQ is the operative measurement. If I've learned anything on these forums, it's that the subjective almost universally trumps the objective, especially where the sound itself is concerned. Other factors I'm sure come into play: resale value on a pair of SR80s will always be lower than HF-1s or PS1s, simply because there are fewer of the latter two, and so on.

However, I do think you're on the right track with the "personality" idea: it's that "Grado house sound" that one hears so much about. "Fun" and "engaging"--IMNSHO--are SQ-related as I see it, since I consider the overall signature to be intimately linked with measureable sound quality.

Or maybe I'm just a starry-eyed noob
wink.gif

Oct 21, 2005 at 2:27 PM Post #4 of 24
All Grado headphones share sonic traits that define a "house sound". Some like it, some don't. The Grado house sound has held up long term for many.

If you enjoy Grado headphones for what they do well, then you will enjoy the HF-1. It's certainly no state of the art wonder, but it is a nice improvement over the similarly priced SR-225 in tone and frequency balance.

I think the HF-1 is a great headphone. Since I'm more of a Senn guy, I'll say that I think the HD-600 is a better buy. But you have to go with what's good for you.

Oct 21, 2005 at 2:28 PM Post #5 of 24
Damnit Rob, I read this thread title and though you had them and would be bringing them to the meet!
tongue.gif

Oct 21, 2005 at 2:47 PM Post #6 of 24
I'd have to agree with CanMan. The impressions you've gotten from the reviews you've read are the same as they would be for any Grado, you've just probably not read as many
smily_headphones1.gif

Sound Quality wise, they sound extremely good. They aren't as "flat" or "accurate" as some other phones, but they do have amazing sound quality. You hear very specific details, very deep clean bass, amazing female vocals, raging guitar solos... all that and they're fun to boot.

They're the Frank Lloyd Wright of headphones. Very good at being a headphone, just done in a very different way.

Oct 21, 2005 at 2:51 PM Post #7 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox
Damnit Rob, I read this thread title and though you had them and would be bringing them to the meet!
tongue.gif

Hah...Jay I only wish that was true. Should have a supermacro, though, and 'maybe' UM2's...but I'm still waiting to decide on those.

I hope it's clear that I didn't intend this thread to question the relative value of the HF-1. That's not what I'm getting at. All I was trying to illustrate was that I have observed in some responses to the HF-1 a type of analysis whereby the owner would say something like "it's not as good as some of my other headphones, but I just like it better". Basically what that says to me, is that once that person has had more time with it, the 'excitement' response will probably fade.

I'm basing that off the idea that the descriptions that some people have given as to why it is less technically proficient, but that they prefer it, is based on some seemingly subjective analysis that strikes me as more emotionally-driven. I could be wrong about that....and I don't intend to negate the idea that the headphone is of very high quality.

You're right, though, that I shouldn't have brought in the word 'personality' into the mix, because it definitely did obscure my more general point.

Oct 21, 2005 at 3:18 PM Post #8 of 24
basically when something new hits the market, the hype is so great and the expectations are so large that you see left and right glowing review, but then there are the 1s and 2s that notice...hey...these do not sound as good, the hype dies out and then the REAL and OBJECTIVE reviews start to roll in.

Oct 21, 2005 at 3:23 PM Post #9 of 24
Well, I'm one of those that said that I felt the 325i was technically superior but preferred the HF-1.

The 325i had higher resolution across the board, but sounded thin in the midrange and very analytical. The HF-1, on the other hand, doesn't strike me as having the same kind of resolution in treble or bass but its midrange is fantastic... full, rich and very musical. The 325i was a little cold and uninvolving, and I really didn't care for it with female vocals which sounded a little hollow. So while it was great for the rock and metal I used them for, about 70% of my music collection wasn't available with the Grados. The HF-1's are better balanced to my ears... They have decent treble response with enough resolution, great bass impact and a mid-range that is very warm that suits itself to a majority of my music.

So, that's why I prefer the HF-1. It may not do everything as well as the 325i, but what it does do well is what I value more.

And that said, the HF-1's are still just my "change of pace" cans... the 650+Zu Mobius is definitely my primary setup, which may help explain why I preferred the sound of the HF-1's to the 325i's!!!

Oct 21, 2005 at 3:30 PM Post #10 of 24
My own initial expectations for the HF-1 were low. I didn't think it would be much better or different from the Alessandro MS1.

Recently I compared the HF-1 to the MS2i and prefer the HF-1.

Oct 21, 2005 at 3:43 PM Post #11 of 24
I prefered HF1 over 325i in certain music, and later I got HD600 and it killed grado in just about all aspect..strange...no..not another senn vs grado thing..been a grado user for 5 years...maybe its time to change? or is my ear just more tunned to hi-fi now? but not planning to sell HF1.....just stashed away alone...in a cold and dark place
600smile.gif

Oct 21, 2005 at 4:03 PM Post #12 of 24
We used the HF-1 for some very critical listening, comparing various DACs. We also used a SA5K. Although the SA5K was obviously the superior can in detail and highs, the HF-1 just had that Grado signature sound that excelled in the mids and the bass, with non-offending highs, which is rare in a Prestige Series can. At the end of the day, if Lan asked me to take hom the SA5K or the HF-1, I would have taken the HF-1, regardless of price, for either critical or pleasurable listening.

Oct 21, 2005 at 5:02 PM Post #13 of 24
Anybody buying HF-1's should simply expect that they are getting a better can than a SR225 at the same price. Keep your expectations at that level and they will be fullfilled.

In the end that's what matters, the relative quality you achieve for how much you paid. In that sense, the HF-1's are an excellent can....maybe one of the best.

Oct 21, 2005 at 5:31 PM Post #14 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by wolfen68
Anybody buying HF-1's should simply expect that they are getting a better can than a SR225 at the same price. Keep your expectations at that level and they will be fullfilled.

In the end that's what matters, the relative quality you achieve for how much you paid. In that sense, the HF-1's are an excellent can....maybe one of the best.

x2.. IMHO the HF1 fills in the broad gap between the SR225 and the higher end full-woodies. I place it on par with my MS2 and the SR325i in may respects. While the MS2 is a flatter can and a little less colored... that CERTAINLY does NOT make it favored or "better". Just different. I haven't tried it yet, but I'm willing to bet with some mild EQ adjustments you can get an HF1 to sound similar to an MS2 and vise versa...???? There are more similarities than diffrerences IMHO.

For $200 the HF1 can't be beat... unless you just don't like the grado signature. For those listeners there are better options.

I for one have spent too much $$$ on far too many headphones in too short a time to get caught up in FOTM madness. I report and post comments on what I hear... no more no less. I was one of the few on the forum to NOT read any impression threads prior to owning a pair.

IMHO of course,
Garrett

Oct 21, 2005 at 5:39 PM Post #15 of 24
there is certainly a bit of the FOTM excitement that typically follows a highly anticipated set of cans but the fact is that these were not meant to be the best. obviously they're not going to best every other can out there and at the $200 price point, you cannot expect that. what they do provide is more of the grado house sound, which many of us enjoy. it's natural to compare them to what's on the market and to higher level grados but to expect them to be better than everything else out there just because they're limited is unrealistic. probably the better thing to do is just take them for what they are, a pair of grados that is somewhere between the sr225 and sr325i and decide on the sound for yourself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back