An introduction.
Apr 3, 2012 at 4:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

obis

New Head-Fier
Hey guys, I have always been interested in electronics and things such to do with music but i don't know what I would need for what I would like to accomplish. I am interested in listening to music in its highest quality possible but not to the extent that i would have to spend thousands of dollars and that's not to say that i wont be willing to spend a lot on this hobby, I just think that it would be worth it in the end. What would you guys recommend for being the best sound quality in terms of CD's/Vinyl? Also I was thinking that I will be listening to a lot of music on my PC and maybe from another dedicated source like a Dedicated Source, I think you guys would call it? I'm not really sure as I am new to all of this. What would be one of the first things you guys think that i should invest in? And what type of hardware? Should i invest in CD's? I would also like to tell you guys that I am planning on using nice headphones like the beyerdynamics T1 with my future setup, so just give me some feed back on what i should be looking into? 

Thanks for reading. :)

Apr 3, 2012 at 10:44 PM Post #3 of 3
Hey guys, I have always been interested in electronics and things such to do with music but i don't know what I would need for what I would like to accomplish. I am interested in listening to music in its highest quality possible but not to the extent that i would have to spend thousands of dollars and that's not to say that i wont be willing to spend a lot on this hobby, I just think that it would be worth it in the end. What would you guys recommend for being the best sound quality in terms of CD's/Vinyl? Also I was thinking that I will be listening to a lot of music on my PC and maybe from another dedicated source like a Dedicated Source, I think you guys would call it? I'm not really sure as I am new to all of this. What would be one of the first things you guys think that i should invest in? And what type of hardware? Should i invest in CD's? I would also like to tell you guys that I am planning on using nice headphones like the beyerdynamics T1 with my future setup, so just give me some feed back on what i should be looking into? 

Thanks for reading. :)

I'd still advise investing in CDs when possible. Hard copies are nice even if you rip them all and don't use physical media.

As for a place to start I'd recommend a Marantz SA8004. It will give you a great CD player, a USB DAC, an iPod transport, and it also includes Coax and Optical ins. The only thing it won't do is let you use another.analog source like a turntable. It does have a nice built in headphone out though. My LCD 2 sounded great out of just that.

I'd recommend it either way but mine happens to be for sale. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back