An Interesting Phenomenon...
Jun 19, 2011 at 3:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

ChorusofAngels

Head-Fier
Today, I was out walking listening to my portable setup.  I own a 3rd Generation iPod Touch through a copper/silver alloy LOD to a TTVJ Slim with my favorite re-262s and I heard something very weird.  Occasionally, the sound would cut out in the right ear, except, only when I had my right foot on the ground.  I carefully tested this by raising and lowering my right foot slowly to see if these two events coincided, and they definitely did.

Theories anyone?

Jun 20, 2011 at 1:34 AM Post #3 of 21
Nope, it was totally irrelevant of all factors.  I took the amp out of my pocket and jiggled all the cords as much as possible, but none of them did anything, not even a hiss of static.  I tried everything to reproduce the thing, but it only happened when I had it in my pocket and I was walking

Jun 20, 2011 at 8:08 AM Post #6 of 21
Maybe you stepped in some highly conductive dog poop, and you shorted out. 

Jun 20, 2011 at 8:03 PM Post #7 of 21

Quote:
Maybe you stepped in some highly conductive dog poop, and you shorted out. 

I guess that sensation would look a lot like this, Tyll ! 
biggrin.gif

http://www.stereophile.com/content/tyll-hertsens

Jun 20, 2011 at 8:35 PM Post #8 of 21
Ground loop? 
wink.gif

Jun 20, 2011 at 9:59 PM Post #9 of 21
I was thinking that somehow my clothes were conductive enough to produce a complete circuit, so it worked.  However, when I step on the dirt it creates a ground which attracts the flow of electrons down.  Honestly, this is the most puzzling thing I've ever seen.  I tried repeating it today and it happened again, just not as clearly as last time.  Maybe I was wearing less conductive clothes haha

Jun 21, 2011 at 12:23 AM Post #10 of 21
Given that there was already a reported case of a guy listening to music on a mp3 player through earbuds, and got struck by lightning, being saved strictly because the mp3 player routed lightning to it, I wouldn't be surprised. Though, it should be noted that the path of the earbuds' wires left nice burns on his body.

Music has once again proven to be a great friend of man
wink.gif

Jun 21, 2011 at 2:01 AM Post #12 of 21

Quote:
Link (to article) or it isn't true!*

*Weak corallary to the "pics or it isn't true" theorem.

Sorry, National Geographic documentary.

But given your strong disbelief, let's make it like this, I go out on the open under a heavy thunderstorm, wielding a mp3 player, and you do the same, but without a mp3 player. The crispy one loses
tongue.gif

Jun 21, 2011 at 2:21 AM Post #13 of 21

Quote:

But given your strong disbelief, let's make it like this, I go out on the open under a heavy thunderstorm, wielding a mp3 player, and you do the same, but without a mp3 player. The crispy one loses
tongue.gif

I'll come out with an industrial lightning rod to act as the control group. This is gonna be Great!

Jun 21, 2011 at 2:49 AM Post #14 of 21

Quote:
I'll come out with an industrial lightning rod to act as the control group. This is gonna be Great!

You do realize that said experiment should be done with a Head-Fi meet nearby, we would harness all that energy and power all the hungriest cans that lurked, eager for raw power to drive them...
wink.gif

Jun 21, 2011 at 11:19 AM Post #15 of 21

Quote:

tongue.gif

Ahh, that's a shame. Oh, well.
Your other option sounds like quite a chancy endeavor. What happens if we both win ... or lose? :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back