An interesting day at the ski shop...
Dec 31, 2006 at 7:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

roastpuff

Headphoneus Supremus
You know it's bad when the Curse has you outside of audio gear... Went to the ski shop today with the intention of getting boots refitted. Came back with a lot more stuff than intended....
blink.gif

P1010129.jpg
P1010136.jpg

P1010130.jpg

P1010134.jpg

P1010135.jpg

P1010140.jpg

This will be my first time on twin-tips... *gulp* I got new skis because I was too heavy for my previous pair. I've seriously got to lose weight!

Any skiers on Head-Fi care to share tips (pun intended
tongue.gif
) on what to expect and how to improve? I'm a low Type II (intermediate) - I can handle easy blue runs - and I'm out of shape.
redface.gif

Whistler's getting 30+ cm of new snow about the time I'm heading up! Wooohooo!

Dec 31, 2006 at 9:00 AM Post #4 of 6
Hey you found your mojo!
600smile.gif

Do you go to Whistler a lot?
Being near the Rockies, I tend to go to Lake Louise and Sunshine here in Alberta. I've never been out to Whistler yet, but I'm hoping.

Dec 31, 2006 at 3:36 PM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by mb3k /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey you found your mojo!
600smile.gif

Do you go to Whistler a lot?
Being near the Rockies, I tend to go to Lake Louise and Sunshine here in Alberta. I've never been out to Whistler yet, but I'm hoping.

Yeah, Whistler is my prime destination for skiing here in Vancouver. It's nice having one of the top three ski resorts in North America a mere 1.5 hours away from you. Since it's so close, I can go out to Whistler quite often, which is a nice thing. We'll see whether I've found my mojo on the 1st of Jan or not...
tongue.gif

Any tips? Even general ones would be helpful...

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmmtn4aj
Wow. How much did they all cost?

Let's just say it's the cost of an iPod Video + ALO Cryo + Tomahawk + UM2's.
tongue.gif
Thank God I didn't have to pay for all of it - parents footed the skis and bindings, and I paid for the goggles and helmet. Skiing is an expensive activity, for sure.

Netminder, thanks! I think so too!

Dec 31, 2006 at 4:13 PM Post #6 of 6
Man, can I relate to this...

When I was young I was a ski racer, good enough that I could have probably walked on to any NCAA team and at least not embarassed myself...and was in fact invited to do so by a couple of teams. Back then, I used to get all my stuff for free. Dad was in the ski business, and then there was all the comp stuff. Life was a lot different then!!

Fast forward 20 years...my wife doesn't ski, so I don't go hardly at all any more (and haven't in 5+ years). Furthermore, all of a sudden it costs a LOT of money to ski!! I can't believe what it costs these days for top-end skis for the advanced skier...at least 3x what I remember, maybe more. Oh, and then there's boots, and clothes, and goggles, and bindings, and even long johns!! Everything is SOOOO expensive!!
eek.gif

So...what to expect...

Well, if you are out of shape, go easy. The few times I've skied in the last few years, it was clear to me that I can't do what I used to do for sure. I think that you will find that the new equipment will make skiing when somewhat out of shape a lot easier and more enjoyable. Hopefully the skis that you bought are nice and easy turning...you'll be thankful for that after a few runs. One of the nice things about the new gear is that you can get a pretty responsive pair of skis that's still reasonably easy to turn. That wasn't the case back in my day...top notch slalom skis required that you be in very good shape and technically proficient at that just to turn them...it wasn't always fun either (especially when the snow softened up a bit).

Other than that, enjoy that powder!!
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back