An insidious plan to sell you Beats
Feb 27, 2013 at 10:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

new reformation

100+ Head-Fier
While in Best Buy some time ago I risked getting several diseases by trying on some Beats and had an experience that can only be described as painful.  The Beats were plugged into one of those displays that allows you to press a button and hear various types of music.  When I pressed the button to take a listen I was assaulted with some of the loudest music I have ever heard in my life. 
basshead.gif

Tone!  Who cares! Sound stage? Don't even think about it! Speaking of thinking, you really can't do much of it when your head is being split open by Dr. Dre's henchman.  If my memory serves me properly, I desperately searched for a button to lower the volume to no avail.  Given that I am very careful to protect my hearing and ability to appreciate music I was not happy to have my ears bombarded with music so loud it was capable of causing permanent damage.

So, here is the theory:  Knowing that their headphones have some... issues... Beats conspired to destroy the hearing of their prospective buyers in an effort to make their product more viable to those who now have permanent hearing loss. 
tongue_smile.gif

Anyone else with a similar experience?

I'm not looking for general hate here... I am just not happy that a demo for a product that is supposed to be made to play music is capable of seriously harming the hearing of someone trying them out, even if they are just doing it for kicks.

Feb 28, 2013 at 2:49 AM Post #2 of 8
I had the same experience, but eventually I found the volume selector. It's hidden somewhere. Some... Beats user.... must have cranked it up to compensate for his already ruined hearing. My main objection was that they didn't let you select what type of music you could listen to, and all they had was crap that I had never heard of before.

Feb 28, 2013 at 4:09 AM Post #4 of 8
HIGH FIVE! Same experience but it was at Apple Store. It was at full volume. I didn't realized it until I started playing music it was "Pumped up kicks by Torches" if I recall. I almost slam the headphone xD 

So I hope next time, they will set a volume limit for all the device... I don't wanted to get blown away by the loud music again... And it is for the sake of healthy ears. ^_^ 

Feb 28, 2013 at 10:33 AM Post #5 of 8
I always check the volume before I put on any demo headphones.  Even if its a press the button type.....I hold it close to my ear and then put them on if its not cranked all the way up. 

Feb 28, 2013 at 10:45 AM Post #6 of 8
Quote:
HIGH FIVE! Same experience but it was at Apple Store. It was at full volume. I didn't realized it until I started playing music it was "Pumped up kicks by Torches" if I recall. I almost slam the headphone xD 

So I hope next time, they will set a volume limit for all the device... I don't wanted to get blown away by the loud music again... And it is for the sake of healthy ears. ^_^ 

Lol dude the song Pumped Up Kicks is by Foster The People, they have an album called Torches (a very good album)

Same here I always turn the volume to zero before putting the headphones on just in case there is always some person who leaves it at full whack just to for the next unfortunate victim to be shocked when they put them on

Feb 28, 2013 at 6:45 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Lol dude the song Pumped Up Kicks is by Foster The People, they have an album called Torches (a very good album)

Same here I always turn the volume to zero before putting the headphones on just in case there is always some person who leaves it at full whack just to for the next unfortunate victim to be shocked when they put them on

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.... Thanks for correcting! Was a bit dizzy yesterday lol...

I put the volume to zero only if I'm using my own device... XD 

Feb 28, 2013 at 6:58 PM Post #8 of 8
Not with beats but yes i have in shops...

which is why when i audition i now prefer to go to music shops that have dedicated personnel or at least selective about what i am looking for.

it limits my options which is annoying but i think a lot of emphasis is put on having volume pots high, bass + volume = music? 
sure hearing for the deaf
biggrin.gif

I learnt this the hard way with an amp and distortion guitar so i learnt to keep headphones around neck until there is sound coming out so i dont get this problem, i guess IEM could suffer from this technique since they don't output much sound anyway or maybe they would benefit.

Quote:
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.... Thanks for correcting! Was a bit dizzy yesterday lol...

I put the volume to zero only if I'm using my own device... XD 

After watkcing people blow amp speakers i quickly found volume to zero and gradually up a sound technique definitely make sure sounds out even if i get others to listen to the headphone

Users who are viewing this thread

Back