An index for IEM tip and barrel sizes
Jan 29, 2007 at 5:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Emon

1000+ Head-Fier
The Idea
There is an ever-growing number of IEMs on the market, and as such, an ever-growing number of users dissatisfied with the stock tips for particular IEMs. I thought it would be a good idea to create an index of tip and barrel sizes so that people can see what tips fit what IEMs.

So far, I've taken measurements of the barrels on the Super.fi 5 Pros, ER-6s and ER-4s. Measurements were taken with a precision dial caliper and are accurate to within 1/1000th of an inch.

The measurements are the diameter of the smallest part of the barrel. Anything relatively similar in size should fit. If other people take measurements of their IEMs, I'll add them here, and maybe we can make this thread a sticky.

About Measuring
I would suggest using a dial or digital caliper for measuring to get accurate results. Not because I'm picky, but because they need to be accurate enough that other people can be confident in their new set of tips not sliding off and becoming stuck in their ear canals.

I didn't measure barrel length, but it's probably a good idea. That doesn't have to be anywhere near as accurate. Maybe to within a millimeter, done with a ruler.

The Measurements
Etymotic ER-6: 0.171 in or 4.3434 mm
Etymotic ER-4: 0.103 in or 2.6162 mm
Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5 Pro: 0.182 in or 4.6228 mm

So, if you think this is a good idea, let me know! I'll gladly add new data to this post as time goes on.

Aug 30, 2023 at 3:26 PM Post #2 of 2
Ancient thread, but since I was drawn here in my search for ER-6 sizes
... having added to my collection of ER-6Is:

Etymotic ER-6i 3.55 mm or 0.140 in
Sony NC300D 4.82 mm or 0.190 in

Etymotic ER-6 4.5 mm or 0.177 in (my measurement)

For the ER-6 and NC300D I use Comply TX200 tips,
for the ER-6i I use the Comply P-series (I understand T-100s would work, and may try)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back