An IEM that does not sound muted and veiled?
Mar 22, 2020 at 12:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

nishan99

500+ Head-Fier
HI

I am looking for a closed back IEM that does not sound muted and veiled under $500.

My IEM journey -> the AKG buds > KZ as10 > BGVP DM6 > Fearless S8 pro.

All of them sounded muted and veiled compared to my Ultrasone signature studio, let alone my open backs headphones.

Both the DM6 and the S8 pro are significantly more detailed than the ultrasone yet somehow more veiled and muted. I EQ all my phones, so I am sure it's not a tuning thing.
Is it the in-ear closed design or the "BA timbre" thing?

I have never listened to a high resolution dynamic driver IEM and I am now looking for one nowadays but idk if it gonna solve my problem.

Mar 22, 2020 at 12:39 AM Post #2 of 19
What do you mean by muted and veiled? I want to make sure we have the same definitions before I give any suggestions. Typically, when I think veiled, I'm thinking of tonality issues like bass bloat covering up the mids. When I think of muted, I'm thinking of either a "smooth" timbre or a lack of detail retrieval.

Mar 22, 2020 at 12:51 AM Post #3 of 19
What do you mean by muted and veiled? I want to make sure we have the same definitions before I give any suggestions. Typically, when I think veiled, I'm thinking of tonality issues like bass bloat covering up the mids. When I think of muted, I'm thinking of either a "smooth" timbre or a lack of detail retrieval.

It's not any of what you said.
idk how to describe it, but the whole presentation seems muted and fake.

Mar 22, 2020 at 8:15 AM Post #4 of 19
Well it seems that all your iems (except maybe the akg) are BA based iems and your headphones are DD based. Maybe try some DD or hybrid iems? maybe you just dont like the BA sound.

Mar 22, 2020 at 8:38 AM Post #5 of 19
Well it seems that all your iems (except maybe the akg) are BA based iems and your headphones are DD based. Maybe try some DD or hybrid iems? maybe you just dont like the BA sound.

I hope so, as I really need an IEM.

Mar 22, 2020 at 8:45 AM Post #6 of 19
I hope so, as I really need an IEM.
Since the Aliexpress sale is coming you might be able to pick up some stuff cheaper. LZ A6 (tribrid), Blon bl03 (single DD) and maybe Urbanfun iss014 (single DD) (the newest hype and I have one on the way) should be good picks to try different setups but they all have a DD at least.

Mar 22, 2020 at 9:17 AM Post #7 of 19
Since the Aliexpress sale is coming you might be able to pick up some stuff cheaper. LZ A6 (tribrid), Blon bl03 (single DD) and maybe Urbanfun iss014 (single DD) (the newest hype and I have one on the way) should be good picks to try different setups but they all have a DD at least.

I will go pure DD set to test the hypothesis.
Chi fi is in dire need for higher end DD, and I want to wait for one which can match the resolution of the ultrasone's to test if my problem is with the in ear design or BA timbre.
I am not sure if the DD chi fi sets under $200 can match the resolution of the ultrasone's?.

For the reference the ultrasone resolution is below the Focal Elex, BGVP DM6 and the fearless S8 pro but higher than the M1060 and KZ AS10.

So I guess their resolution is equal to the Senn's 600s.

Mar 22, 2020 at 9:38 AM Post #8 of 19
I will go pure DD set to test the hypothesis.
Chi fi is in dire need for higher end DD, and I want to wait for one which can match the resolution of the ultrasone's to test if my problem is with the in ear design or BA timbre.
I am not sure if the DD chi fi sets under $200 can match the resolution of the ultrasone's?.

For the reference the ultrasone resolution is below the Focal Elex, BGVP DM6 and the fearless S8 pro but higher than the M1060 and KZ AS10.

So I guess their resolution is equal to the Senn's 600s.
Dont have your iems unfortunately, but if you want a dd with high resolution the urbanfun iss014 miiiight be good ( dont know as I havent heard it...) but other than that the Final Audio E5000 has the best resolution for a dd BUT it is a very warm iem so percieved details might be under your iems because they are all on the bright side.

Mar 22, 2020 at 9:46 AM Post #9 of 19
Also BA´s are usually better than DD´s when it comes to technicalities such as resolution,detail, soundstage but has worse timbre and bass doesnt have the same "punch" as a DD. So if you want a DD with higher resolution than the S8 pro that is a very high performing BA with 8 BA´s that might be impossible, unless you drop BIG cash on it...

Mar 22, 2020 at 9:54 AM Post #10 of 19
Also BA´s are usually better than DD´s when it comes to technicalities such as resolution,detail, soundstage but has worse timbre and bass doesnt have the same "punch" as a DD. So if you want a DD with higher resolution than the S8 pro that is a very high performing BA with 8 BA´s that might be impossible, unless you drop BIG cash on it...

I don't mind a lesser resolution set as I like my Ultrasone's more than any IEM I have.

Still the DD mid-fi market is very lacking in options.

I will research the ISS014 and I hope it have the minimum resolution I am looking for.

Mar 22, 2020 at 10:11 AM Post #11 of 19
You can check out Moondrop Starfield, Tin Hifi T4, Final Audio E5000 while your at it.

Mar 22, 2020 at 5:11 PM Post #12 of 19
I do have several DDs in the price range you are looking at.
I recently also bought a BA IEM and I think I can imagine what you mean by veiled.

If it's about openness, then I think a used Sony EX1000 might be your best bet, but it needs a beefy and smooth source, I find it a great match with my Mojo.
Weird fit and low isolation is the price you pay, treble is a bit spiky and that they are hard to find. They are a little intense, not really for relaxing but amazing for well recorded Jazz or Classics.

The JVC FDX1 from Drop would be the more "daily driver" recommendation. I have the FD02 which are pretty much similar but I had to mod them myself rather than getting factory modded nozzles like on the FDX1. I've had them for a year and keep coming back to them. My cheapest but I can throw anything at them and just enjoy. I have more expensive ones but keep coming back to them. A very clean and neutral sound with tastefully boosted low bass and a smooth treble. Slightly lean in the lower mids, so chello and male vocals are a little thinner.

I haven't heard them, but the Periodic Audio Carbon are also getting good feeback. I have MGs which have the same shape and can't get the to fit well and secure though.

Mar 24, 2020 at 9:16 AM Post #15 of 19
I do have several DDs in the price range you are looking at.
I recently also bought a BA IEM and I think I can imagine what you mean by veiled.

If it's about openness, then I think a used Sony EX1000 might be your best bet, but it needs a beefy and smooth source, I find it a great match with my Mojo.
Weird fit and low isolation is the price you pay, treble is a bit spiky and that they are hard to find. They are a little intense, not really for relaxing but amazing for well recorded Jazz or Classics.

The JVC FDX1 from Drop would be the more "daily driver" recommendation. I have the FD02 which are pretty much similar but I had to mod them myself rather than getting factory modded nozzles like on the FDX1. I've had them for a year and keep coming back to them. My cheapest but I can throw anything at them and just enjoy. I have more expensive ones but keep coming back to them. A very clean and neutral sound with tastefully boosted low bass and a smooth treble. Slightly lean in the lower mids, so chello and male vocals are a little thinner.

I haven't heard them, but the Periodic Audio Carbon are also getting good feeback. I have MGs which have the same shape and can't get the to fit well and secure though.

Thanks a lot!
I am convinced with the JVC's.

Sadly I have to wait because my country is closing down all borders.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back