An honest question: if the DT880's are so good....
May 9, 2007 at 1:38 AM Post #33 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Superpredator /img/forum/go_quote.gif
An acronym might be tough.

Team LDT880? Team L880? Team 1480? I kind of maybe sorta want to join. I know it's wrong, but it's oh so right.

Okay, we have an acronym. Check out my sig. It just rolls off the tongue (and into a puddle on the floor)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also, I fear if I get Manufactures, I'll have to get them recabled too.
biggrin.gif

...Did you own a DT880 before you got your Manufacture model? I am curious as to how the characteristics change with 600 Ohm and leather pads.

Not sure if the cable has improved but the standard straight cable isn't bad. I'd like it a bit shorter. Headphile 2 meter BlackMax would be perfect and based on what you are saying it would sound better too.

I heard the 2003 250 ohm model and really liked it which is why I bought these. Not easy to compare in the circumstances. The leather pads add a lot of bass (proven by switching back and forth with the velour) and the 600 ohms sure seems to make it a smooth listen. The problem in answering your question is that so much of what I am listening to is the result of the components that I have assembled. In fact, I'll post a pic since I just got my iRiver H140 and BlackMax interconnect. Please excuse the quality of the pic - taken quickly with a 1 Megapixel camera - but my night table stereo is complete. It's not technically high high end but it sounds great IMO. People sometimes complain the DT880s are dry? This is a very warm, liquid and bassy setup - and the DT880's huge soundstage and treble detail are completely preserved. I love it:

May 9, 2007 at 3:24 AM Post #35 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That is a very sweet rig cooperpwc.

Is there any chance of taking a higher resolution pic?

Thanks. Yes, I'll pull out my Sony and take pics properly from a few angles soon.

May 9, 2007 at 3:29 AM Post #36 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by cooperpwc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks. Yes, I'll pull out my Sony and take pics properly from a few angles soon.

Great! That gear is worthy of MORE PICS
dj.gif

May 9, 2007 at 3:40 AM Post #37 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by xenithon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...then howcome an average of two pairs go into the FS section almost every day? Furthermore, many (if not most) tend to be only a few days or weeks old.

Mine are in that crowd on the for sale board at the moment...bought both DT880 and DT990, burned them in, then did a week or two of A/B listening. Very interesting comparisons, I have to say. In the end, I decided the 990s are slightly preferable for my ears, and put the 880s on sale, and decided to try Darths next--but this wasn't an easy decision.

Both phones sound very good and I would agree with other assessments that they are slightly more detailed, slightly more "clinical" (though not always compared to the 990s) and very very pleasant sounding amped.

Been on a kind of obsessive headphone bender here...and I just decided that for me, I prefer the 990 to the 880 for the music, sources and amps I listen to...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back