An honest noob Head-fier's question
Oct 12, 2013 at 11:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

sound22

Head-Fier
I like this hobby, i really do, but sometimes i wonder if this is just nonesense. I think mainly this is due to the people around me that have the idea that there is no difference from hifi to ibuds. In some occasions i feel like this too but when i listen to my skullcandy aviators I remember why i bought it( even though many people here still dont consider it a good headphone). But again i consider it the best sound since i havent heard any better. So here is the question, can people know that there is a headphone better than theirs if they never even heard the better or is it like thinking of a new color, you believe that these are all the possible colors that you cant imagine a new one in this case a better headphone? I know i can experiment this myself but i am sorry i do not have the money for it. So i ask the older members in this club ( or at least older than me) ,did you experience something you never imagined when you went from ibuds to hifi or midfi?

Oct 12, 2013 at 11:30 AM Post #2 of 19
Today I feel the same way as you OP, I just brought the Bifrost Uber and Little Dot 1+, and I hooked it up to my friends PS3, but the change in audio quality was underwhelming. I was expecting a mind blowing change in sound.My problems could be that I am still burning in the tubes, the tubes that I have bought are not up to par (GE JAN 5654W) or maybe my quality of music is not up to par, who knows.

From what I have found, if someone is used to a certain sound, they will stick with it.

My friend has beats solo HD headphones, I have the Shure SRH840's. When my brother, a teacher, and two students compared both headphones, everyone picked the Shure SRH840 in terms of superior audio quality. 

They all never heard either headphones, my brother being the exception for hearing the 840's.

Well, everyone except for the owner of the Beats, he still thought they sounded better.

Oct 12, 2013 at 11:55 AM Post #3 of 19
Today I feel the same as you as well, I just brought the Bifrost Uber and Little Dot 1+, and I hooked it up to my friends PS3, but the change in audio quality us underwhelming. I was expecting a mind blowing change in sound.My problems could be that I am still burning in the tubes, the tubes that I have bought are not up to par (GE JAN 5654W) and maybe my quality of music is not up to par, who knows.

Not surprising. When it comes to price, DACs and headphone amps more quickly reach a rate of diminishing return in terms of performance. Headphones give you the most bang for your buck upgrade.

Oct 12, 2013 at 1:32 PM Post #4 of 19
Not surprising. When it comes to price, DACs and headphone amps more quickly reach a rate of diminishing return in terms of performance. Headphones give you the most bang for your buck upgrade.

Indeed. Listening to Dacs... well that's like watching grass grow, my point 

grass day 1 and day 2, on day 2 it is taller but it's so marginal. It's simmilar with Dacs. The differeance is noticeable but not HUGE, better to get new headphones, and in this grass word picture, new heardphones are like... planting flowers in your lawn... OMG THE DIFFERANCE IS OBVIOUS, because the new sound will well stick out like a flower in a feild of grass. 

Oct 12, 2013 at 2:05 PM Post #5 of 19
  Indeed. Listening to Dacs... well that's like watching grass grow, my point 

grass day 1 and day 2, on day 2 it is taller but it's so marginal. It's simmilar with Dacs. The differeance is noticeable but not HUGE, better to get new headphones, and in this grass word picture, new heardphones are like... planting flowers in your lawn... OMG THE DIFFERANCE IS OBVIOUS, because the new sound will well stick out like a flower in a feild of grass. 

I should of brought the A900x's or even the SRH 940's. 
frown.gif

Well, I guess I will just have to wait.

Oct 12, 2013 at 2:24 PM Post #6 of 19
  I should of brought the A900x's or even the SRH 940's. 
frown.gif

Well, I guess I will just have to wait.

wait what do you have atm :O also I hear the SHure 440 is one heck of a sub $100 headphone 

Oct 12, 2013 at 3:56 PM Post #7 of 19
  wait what do you have atm :O also I hear the SHure 440 is one heck of a sub $100 headphone 

I had the 440's, but they were broken a toddler. I have the 840's right now, the 440's were good, but the 840's are even better.

Oct 12, 2013 at 4:17 PM Post #9 of 19
If it's not too late, return the Bifrost Uber and get a Modi. Then get demo some better headphones
smily_headphones1.gif

the 840 are decent headphones imo, but there are better. Much better, so I agree, grab a Modi, ditch the BiFrost and then get your self a pair of cans that would really improve your experince. 

Will you be using your headphones at home only or on the go as well. Also what does the ps3 have as it's Audio Out, that will also determine what Dac might work the best for u as well 

Oct 12, 2013 at 4:19 PM Post #10 of 19
I bought it used. Plus my brother says he will keep it for two more weeks just to see if it ever improves.

Oct 12, 2013 at 4:30 PM Post #11 of 19
  I bought it used. Plus my brother says he will keep it for two more weeks just to see if it ever improves.

Oh well hey man fair enough, just save up for another pair of cans! The 840 are good headphones non the less, if you really want too dude you could Mod them! But be careful you don't break em either way

modding makes a big differance! in cleaning up the sound and improving the sound quality over all! 

Oct 12, 2013 at 4:34 PM Post #12 of 19
Maybe I'm missing something while being sick, but he's hooking this to a PS3, right?  Does the ps3 have powered USB to support the modi?  To my lacking knowledge, I don't think it does and from what I can find, it does rca/hdmi/optical/bluetooth out for sound.  Maybe I should hook my bifrost up to my ps3 and see if I can notice anything...

But to the OP, yes.  For the most part, my upgrades from standard buds to where I am now have all shone more light on the music that I listen to through the incremental upgrades. I also went from reading reviews about how people would listen to something and get goosebumps to being one of those that do get goosebumps from certain tracks and segments that I didn't before.

Oct 12, 2013 at 4:38 PM Post #13 of 19
the 840 are decent headphones imo, but there are better. Much better, so I agree, grab a Modi, ditch the BiFrost and then get your self a pair of cans that would really improve your experince. 

Will you be using your headphones at home only or on the go as well. Also what does the ps3 have as it's Audio Out, that will also determine what Dac might work the best for u as well 

Agreed. The 840s are undoubtedly good headphones for the price, but see your next SQ upgrades as coming from better headphones rather than more electronics. :)

In fact, you should check to see if there is a Head-Fi Meetup in your area. Great way to hear more headphones. Check to see if you have a Best Buy Magnolia store in your area or a hifi audio shop that carries higher end headphones.

Oct 12, 2013 at 4:38 PM Post #14 of 19
  Maybe I'm missing something while being sick, but he's hooking this to a PS3, right?  Does the ps3 have powered USB to support the modi?  To my lacking knowledge, I don't think it does and from what I can find, it does rca/hdmi/optical/bluetooth out for sound.  Maybe I should hook my bifrost up to my ps3 and see if I can notice anything...

But to the OP, yes.  For the most part, my upgrades from standard buds to where I am now have all shone more light on the music that I listen to through the incremental upgrades. I also went from reading reviews about how people would listen to something and get goosebumps to being one of those that do get goosebumps from certain tracks and segments that I didn't before.

Yea I think the PS3 only has like... 

well I have no idea what the ps3 has but I think it has sPdif out... and maybe HDMI 

Oct 12, 2013 at 4:41 PM Post #15 of 19

Yeah. I forgot about the PS3 in suggesting the Modi. Since he can't return the Bifrost, no reason not to keep it and use it.

However, in another thread, Sony Slave is talking about buying yet another device that converts HDMI over to optical for use with his PS3. At this point, best to limit buying more electronics and save for headphone upgrades :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back