An expensive mistake - sold my StefanArt Sennheiser HD605's for Denon AH-D5000?
Nov 30, 2007 at 8:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

techno_guru

New Head-Fier
I'm new to this forum but have been an avid headphone fan for many years. I had been brand loyal to Sennheiser for many years, working my way through the range as the upgrade fever kicked in - ending up with some StefanArt re-cabled HD-650's driven by a Musical Fidelity X-Cans V3 with matching X-PSU 3.

I liked generally liked this system, but found it slighlty lacking in excitement/emotion - sterile I suppose is the term. After a while, the upgrade fever kicked in and I sold the HD650's in favour of some Denon AH-D5000, which I figured would be a complete contrast. Well, I wasn't wrong!

Unfortunately, I made this change on impulse, without demming the Denon's. After running the Denon's in for 500+ hours I still continue to be disappointed by that overwhelming, bloated bass. I read Skylab's review of the D5000 with interest, as he seemed to say only good things about the bass, which completely contradicted my view. I understand that we are both using completely different amps, so I'm led to think that this is where my problems most likely come from.

So fellow forum viewers, could you please give me your thoughts on which route you would consider (bearing in mind I listen to a wide spread of music from jazz through to rock):

1. Change the amp - try either a Meier Opera or Yamamoto HA-02. I like a what I've read about both these amps, and several forum members seem to favour these amps with the Denon's.

2. Sell the Denon's, and go for some different cans, maybe AKG-701?

3. Buy some HD650's again, except this time run them directly from my balanced power amp (I have some pretty decent Ayre kit) with a balanced cable re-wire.

4. Give up all together and just stick to my 20-channel speaker rig!

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and views - all very welcome.

Nov 30, 2007 at 8:40 PM Post #4 of 35
I have both the HD650 and K701. If you are looking for something more exciting, do not purchase the K701. Also, I have tried HD650 balanced directly from a CDP and I would not recommend it.

Having used many cans (K501, K340, K240, K701, K1000, ATH-AD2000, HE60, HE90, Qualia, L3000, DT880, Ultrasone Edition 9, Stax Lambda...) I feel the HD650 are still the most musical and enjoyable. There are many good amp recommendations for the HD650 on Head-Fi (lehman black cube, meier audio...).

Nov 30, 2007 at 8:43 PM Post #5 of 35
I would say that your and skylabs different experiences rather result from listening habits and played genres than from utilized sources, amps or cables. The various attemps to "tame" a fon by another amp is nothing but headfi folklore IMO. Better look for different fons than for another amp.

Wouldn't vote for a K701 or a DT880 though, guess you'd regard them as even more emotionless than your Senns. Only fon I experienced to combine quality and feeling were the AT W5K - but they are much too expensive IMO and mostly need modding due to bad fittings. A Grado beast offers lots of fun of course, but the technical abilities of a Grado never reach the K701/DT880/HD650 level.

Nov 30, 2007 at 8:45 PM Post #6 of 35
In my experience thew X-can v3 is not very good with bass heavy phones.
I have both the DX1000 and Darth Beyers and the bass of these is very bloated from the X-can v3.
The effect might very well be the same with the Denon.
I prefer the Corda Prehead with the Darths.
I don't know about the D5000, but I think you may want to match them with another amp....

Nov 30, 2007 at 8:50 PM Post #7 of 35
i had both for a while, and booted the denon after deciding i had issues with it. i say sell it and get a k701.

Nov 30, 2007 at 8:55 PM Post #9 of 35
I hear what you're saying - should've kept the HD650's! I just found myself listening less and less to them - sort of got bored with the sound and also found them awfully tight on my head. Whereas the Denon's are wonderfully comfortable, and have some great qualities (apart from that darned terrible bass). I have a buyer lined-up for my MF amp, so was hoping that I could keep the Denon's with the right amp on the front end.

Any thoughts anyone - how about fellow D5000 owners?

Nov 30, 2007 at 8:58 PM Post #10 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by kpeezy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not quoting out of spite or to be rude at all; I'm quoting out of pure curiosity. What does this statement mean?

It mostly refers to the Grado's small soundstage and their sound sig that isn't exactly ...well, neutral. And the sheer build quality, of course
smily_headphones1.gif
. No offence, perfect rockers thus.

Haven't experienced the very very expensive Grado beasts though...

Nov 30, 2007 at 9:37 PM Post #11 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickchen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A Grado beast offers lots of fun of course, but the technical abilities of a Grado never reach the K701/DT880/HD650 level.

Based on my own listening, I wouldn't be able to agree with your blanket statement. Given that my Grado experience only goes as far as the RS-1, the very high end is also a mystery to me. However one doesn't have to venture into the world of Joseph Grado exotica to experience the lively, life-like and insanely detailed sound the current Reference Series is capable of. Personally, I think certain instruments sound more realistic out of a Grado than say a HD650 or K701. Shame about the current production sound signature, which doesn't really appeal to my tastes.

Nov 30, 2007 at 10:04 PM Post #12 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by techno_guru /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So fellow forum viewers, could you please give me your thoughts on which route you would consider (bearing in mind I listen to a wide spread of music from jazz through to rock):

1. Change the amp - try either a Meier Opera or Yamamoto HA-02. I like a what I've read about both these amps, and several forum members seem to favour these amps with the Denon's.

2. Sell the Denon's, and go for some different cans, maybe AKG-701?

3. Buy some HD650's again, except this time run them directly from my balanced power amp (I have some pretty decent Ayre kit) with a balanced cable re-wire.

4. Give up all together and just stick to my 20-channel speaker rig!

None of the above.

As we all consider this hobby as a journey. You'd learn something new every time you make another stop on you next destination. Each time you own a new set of phones, you'd learn some new characters. Long enough, you might can even feel the emotion of the designers and his/her intention when you listen to each of those phones.

Go to the meets and try to listen to a wide variety to appreciate the differences. In my case, I'm just more active in the FS forums than others.
biggrin.gif

We all can learn from mistakes. The important part is to keep the damage to minimum.
tongue.gif

Nov 30, 2007 at 10:08 PM Post #13 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3x331m /img/forum/go_quote.gif
We all can learn from mistakes. The important part is to keep the damage to minimum.
tongue.gif

And that's what the FS forums are for
biggrin.gif

Nov 30, 2007 at 10:14 PM Post #14 of 35
The Grado RS1 or Audio-Technica AD2000 may be more up your alley if you want that excitement/emotion. Both are very musical headphones in different ways, try to audition if possible.

Nov 30, 2007 at 10:51 PM Post #15 of 35
Since your Denons are well broken in, I would say they simply are not the can for you. I have never heard the X-Can, but I can't imagine a different amp would fundamentally change your opinion of the headphone.

Some people simply prefer less bass. One person's "extremely bloated bass" is one person's "finally a headphone with just enough bass to make music"
biggrin.gif

I actually think the K701 is a good call for you, based on what you said here, and on my experience with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back