An Exclusive Head-fi Shipping Moment
Mar 8, 2008 at 12:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

greydragon

1000+ Head-Fier
I went to the post office the other week to ship a pair of Darths across the border to Canada. While filing the custom forms, I ask the mail office worker to put down $500 for insurance. Her eyes bugged out and give me a little incredulous look, like "what the heck can be worth $500 in this little box?"

And a little while later when she was inputting the data into the system, she got the nerve to ask, "So, how much is the item in here really worth?"

Me: "Ah..... yeah, like $500 at least."

She: Shook her head and snorted. And give me the "yeah right" look.

[size=medium]Man! [/size]

Do most mail centers do this when you guys ship out high-end headgear?

Mar 8, 2008 at 12:07 AM Post #2 of 17
Never, but they are impossible to get fired. I will tell you also that if you try to make a claim on that insurance without a receipt then the post office will tell you to get lost.

Mar 8, 2008 at 12:13 AM Post #4 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by goldenratiophi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm, don't see why they would be suspicious. Lots of small normal items are worth a lot: iPods, jewelry, etc.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that I wrote down "Headphones" on the custom form. Maybe she found it hard to believe that a phone can cost so much.

Mar 8, 2008 at 12:18 AM Post #5 of 17
Most people outside of the reach of Headfi would probably assume $50 is the highest $ for headphones.
rolleyes.gif

Mar 8, 2008 at 12:27 AM Post #7 of 17
I get nothing but professional conduct and some friendly banter from Jim at my post office back home or from any of the people in the St Andrews post office. Irrespective of the value of the parcel or its size or shape.

Mar 8, 2008 at 12:44 AM Post #9 of 17
When I shipped my computer, my monitor, and my headphone rig the conversation went something like this:

Hi, I'd like to ship these out, and I need insurance.

Okay son, how much insurance do you need?

Well, the first box I'll need $1200, the second box $3000, the third box $1500, and the fourth box $600.

Uh...........Let me get the manager....

Mar 8, 2008 at 2:06 AM Post #10 of 17
I don't know why they would care. If the package is damaged you'll need to provide proof of the price anyways and they won't pay more than it's worth- if at all, I knew a guy who's bike was bent in half and they said it was repairable. So if you insure over the value, you're just putting more money in their pocket.

Mar 8, 2008 at 3:27 AM Post #15 of 17
My local post office always wants me to send it the cheapest way possible when they see headphones on the customs slip. I try to ask them again nicely if I can have the correct shipping form, but they just act a bit clueless... after asking a few times they finally relent and give me the form I asked for. I only get that at our local post office, not if I go to the main one in the city center.

The closest I've gotten to the OP's situation worked in my favor. I went to pick up my pk-1s at the customs window of the main post office, and had my invoice printed and ready to hand over, when the woman opened the box, saw they were buds, and just let me have them. She didn't realize that these were well over the "you gotta pay" limit, and had been declared for the correct value. She just assumed they over-valued them.

Merry Christmas to me.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back