An example of what's wrong w/ high-end audio today:
Mar 8, 2004 at 6:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

jefemeister

Headphoneus Supremus
I found this while browsing the internet for a response to a post about upsampling articles. It's from a paper that dCS destributed to their dealers on how to sell their product:

Quote:

When all else fails, casually say, "Everybody else is still in the dark ages, using Fourier Transforms in a feeble attempt to understand digital. dCS uses wavelets." Smile smugly (as if you knew what you were talking about), and get back to the demonstration as quickly as possible! :)

This does not speak well for dCS or dealerships. I would be embarrased if I were them, but I found it posted on their distributor's website!
http://www.aslgroup.com/dcs/dacsandupsamplers.htm

Mar 8, 2004 at 6:39 AM Post #2 of 9
True, but dCS is not a high-end company, they are a "leading-edge digital research company".
rolleyes.gif

Mar 8, 2004 at 3:17 PM Post #3 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by ServinginEcuador
True, but dCS is not a high-end company, they are a "leading-edge digital research company".
rolleyes.gif

lol. yeah, but at least that part was just funny and not insulting.

Mar 8, 2004 at 5:00 PM Post #4 of 9
A lot of techno mumbo jumbo, and ends with an exhortation to say something to impress the custumer without any real knowledge as to what they just said. The height of arrogance. THat's not to say their equipment may not be the best in the world, but you're title for this thread is perfect. It's things like this that are giving black eyes to high-end audio.

Mar 8, 2004 at 6:20 PM Post #5 of 9
I used to be on their mailing list when they were distributors for Linn. Linn puts out a very slick and glossy newsletter and they love vinyl.

Mar 8, 2004 at 11:24 PM Post #6 of 9
My advisor in college wrote her thesis on wavelets. From what little I understand of them, they seem like a very good system of approximating wave forms; better than Fourier transforms in certain applications in pure mathematics.

However, all that is irrelevant because the above example is just marketing double-talk. If wavelets were that much better, everyone would use them and there'd be a big revolution.

Mar 8, 2004 at 11:31 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by LargeSock
However, all that is irrelevant because the above example is just marketing double-talk. If wavelets were that much better, everyone would use them and there'd be a big revolution.

Not if the implementation of using wavelets is too expensive. If it cost the same or only slightly more we'll start to see them in more units. But, as it appears today, the incorporation of it into the mainstream CDPs out there is just too expensive right now. If development can bring the price down closer to a Fourier transform implementation, this will become mainstream. That and if the CDP makers see the same or more profit from doing so.

Mar 9, 2004 at 12:30 AM Post #8 of 9
I don't care if they use wavelets or not. The point is their attitude towards their customers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back