An Evening with John Petrucci & Jordan Rudess
Jun 9, 2004 at 11:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Sovkiller

Proved that despite its huge size the CD3000 can be shoved down one's throat.
Does anybody have heard it, I got it today and I was blown away, this guys are really amazing....I always liked Dream Theater and LTE, but this is too much, if you like fusion, jazz-rock this is a most, is a complex mixture of AlDimeola, Flamenco, Steve Howe, Dream Theater, LTE, Hackett, I don't know what else cross my mind now, I would never imagine those guys playing this kind of music, with that refined taste, incredible that a music only for played with keyboards and guitars could be so enjoyable for a rocker...I strongly recommend it to anybody....very nice album....

Jun 10, 2004 at 8:12 PM Post #2 of 15
Anybody????

Jun 11, 2004 at 3:27 PM Post #4 of 15
almost considered listening to this one...but I figured, I don't care much for Rudess' playing, not with DT, or anywhere else (complete lack of emotion that guy...there's nothing of himself in his playing IMO) and it's been years since Petrucci played an interesting piece of guitar (wanker...what I saw of his G3 performance was fast, but nothing else). I really doubt that combination could do much good without any other players around.

then again, I might be wrong.

Jun 11, 2004 at 7:49 PM Post #5 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Braver
I might be wrong.

IMO you are absolutelly wrong, give it a listen, this has nothing to do with DT or LTE, it is more like jazz/rock....if you have heard Al Dimeola, it looks more like that, than DT or LTE...

I have seen a lot of very emotional players that is just that, emotion, and IMO they should retire 100 years ago,and in this era they have nothing to show or do playing, give the fresh blood a chance man...they are both excellent players, and IMO there is nothing much better in DT, than those two guys, the rest if more show than anything else....singer appart.....

Jun 14, 2004 at 11:22 AM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bolt San
This is a great album, and this is coming from a former DT fanboy that now hates all of their work.
I love it.

Why you hate them now? I feel the recent albums very good, showing a more mature band, more elaborated music, maybe not as emotional as in the beginning, but more thought, I like all of them, but the latest albums are very good also.

Jun 23, 2004 at 9:35 AM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller
Why you hate them now? I feel the recent albums very good, showing a more mature band, more elaborated music, maybe not as emotional as in the beginning, but more thought, I like all of them, but the latest albums are very good also.

I think they lack the focus that an outside producer provides.
They don't have one right now, and while their stuff is nicely produced in terms of sound, it seems to me that all they do is show off their skills, and make fast solos rather than keeping their focus and musicality.
With that said, I still enjoy some of their songs (Fatal Tragedy, Metropolis Part 1), but I can't listen to any one album anymore, although Scenes from a Memory was one of my favorite albums of all time for a while.

Oddly enough I still like LTE, though...

Feb 21, 2006 at 1:33 PM Post #11 of 15
Sovkiller I've had this album for a while, it's a favorite of mine to listen to when I'm studying. Excellent album, and a must-have for any Dream Theater/John Petrucci fan
tongue.gif

Feb 21, 2006 at 3:43 PM Post #13 of 15
You know.. I've owned this album for a long time, but I never managed to get into it.

I love the first track, 'Furia Taurina', and the last studio track is also enjoyable.. but the remainder of the album just grates on my ears. I can't stand Petrucci's guitar tone, it's very tinny and lifeless. Rudess' piano is all over the place and just come across as undefined. The songwriting - IMO - is simply boring. I recall listening to this album in my car on an extended drive from D.C. to Chicago, and I couldn't even finish it. I had to take it out about 75% of the way through.. was like nails on a chalkboard.

Placing this album under the same light as Al Di Meola or Paco De Lucia is a huge overstatement, I think.

Feb 21, 2006 at 4:04 PM Post #14 of 15
It is also one of my favs. Petruccis acoustic tone is FAR from decent though.... Piezoelectric pickups in a solidbody, through a Mesa rack is not an ideal recepie for acoustic tone... but he has to fulfill his endoresement contracts, and I dont see EBMM making hollowbodies any time soon.

IMHO his best acoustic tones are from the late 90s when he was with Ibanez. I have some unplugged gigs and his tones are so much fuller and more resonant. I think his string action is set up higher too on his old Ibanez acoustics. So some of that Ernie Ball treble you hear is some of his strings fretting out.

In fact, Petruccis string buzz will come across as PIERCING through a flawed / treble boosted headphone.

But I still find the tunes enjoyable, and its a good, dynamic recording too. I also can hear some traces of Al DiMeola, and Steve Howe in there.

Garrett

Feb 21, 2006 at 9:43 PM Post #15 of 15
I do

It is delectable

Users who are viewing this thread

Back