An (even easier) AKG K550 Small Head Mod
Nov 30, 2012 at 3:22 PM Post #17 of 44
Quote:
Any pics of this mod? The original pics are dead.

The OP's pics are working on my end.

It put a smile on my face at the very simple and fully reversible mods shown on this thread. Well done, everyone.

Nov 30, 2012 at 4:06 PM Post #18 of 44
They are still up on my end too, but just in case...

Dec 4, 2012 at 1:06 PM Post #19 of 44
Looking everywhere for mods to fix the missing bass, I stumbled on this thread.
I didn't have any headbands to stuff the earpads with, so I used a shoelace cut in half. 
The four months or so I've owned these I thought they were kind of a disappointment, but this five minute mod actually made me feel like I was getting my money's worth.  Unless there's some magic point where burn-in completely changes a headphone and amp (Fiio E17) fixing the seal changed everything.

Dec 4, 2012 at 3:33 PM Post #21 of 44
Quote:
Yep they made mine much more enjoyable too. I stuffed them with toilet paper. The treble is still too harsh and seperation sucks. One thing to make that managable is listen at very low volumes. They sound much better then. You have to get used to it but in the end it'll be better for your ears.

Try using the rubber bands just to simply pucker the pads up. That doesn't change the sound, just enables better seal. Stuffing the pads mucked up the sound for me, because then you have too much crap around the drivers, imo.

Dec 4, 2012 at 4:09 PM Post #22 of 44
Well a rubber band wont hold here.

I actually found that they improved. I might try it without the toilet paper or use something else. Maybe a wooden ring if possible. I also have some sound dampening foam laying around.

Dec 11, 2012 at 5:39 AM Post #23 of 44
Quote:
yep they fit. those pads has an adhesive that doesnt mess up the plastic so you can slap them on and remove it anytime you want. the pads are somewhat have similar size when you squeeze the stock pads with rubberband. you can search the web for replacement pads. everyone knows that it is silly to buy a headphones just to remove the pads :wink:

it also sounds alot bassier/darker than the stock pads because of the hole is much smaller than the stock pads, creating a "bass-lens effect". very good way to "improve" the k550's stock sound signature while not making it look bad =)

I cant find any replacement pads anywhere, I need one for my Siberia V2 since Steelseries were budget and placed a very, very thin amount of padding inside the earpads and over a few months of use, it has flatten a lot.

Dec 13, 2012 at 5:48 AM Post #24 of 44
Had some para-cord lying around so cutted it to right length and stuffed once around the cups. Made the pads nicely thicker. And only visible @very high angle, it's real deep under there :) I used about 4mm thick cord. Also got some 6mm cord, might test with that later. Tough 4mm feels plenty enough in there.

Dec 13, 2012 at 7:21 AM Post #25 of 44
Quote:
Had some para-cord lying around so cutted it to right length and stuffed once around the cups. Made the pads nicely thicker. And only visible @very high angle, it's real deep under there
smily_headphones1.gif
I used about 4mm thick cord. Also got some 6mm cord, might test with that later. Tough 4mm feels plenty enough in there.

Report as soon as you have results please

Dec 13, 2012 at 6:47 PM Post #26 of 44
Ended up using 28cm peace of cord for one ring. With 4mm cord it definitely improves sealing, but doesn't make the pads that much thicker in the end. Yellow one is 6mm cord, and i'm going to stick with them for now. Had hard time trying to melt the ends together.

Jan 23, 2013 at 2:16 AM Post #29 of 44
Hey guys, I'm keen to try to put something under, and inside the cups. Right now, I have the earpads stuffed with cotton balls, and although it raises the fit so it's not touching my ears, it also makes the pads 'harder" and causes the headset to sort of have a "slidey" feel, like it's not "holding" onto my head. As in, the friction is reduced because the earcups have less surface area touching my head. 

I do not have bungee cord, and I'm a dude; I have no idea where I'd get women's head bands, lol. Anyone have any other ideas what would be appropriate for stuffing under? I'd thought of paper towel, but that doesn't seem optimal. 

Jan 24, 2013 at 9:33 PM Post #30 of 44
Quote:
Hey guys, I'm keen to try to put something under, and inside the cups. Right now, I have the earpads stuffed with cotton balls, and although it raises the fit so it's not touching my ears, it also makes the pads 'harder" and causes the headset to sort of have a "slidey" feel, like it's not "holding" onto my head. As in, the friction is reduced because the earcups have less surface area touching my head. 

I do not have bungee cord, and I'm a dude; I have no idea where I'd get women's head bands, lol. Anyone have any other ideas what would be appropriate for stuffing under? I'd thought of paper towel, but that doesn't seem optimal. 

I don't understand why it seems that stuffing the pads is everyone's initial go-to to try to get them to seal. I found it makes it sound worse and actually makes it harder to get a seal. You're actually pushing the drivers away from your ear and dampening the sound. The original mod has absolutely nothing to do with stuffing anything into anyplace.

Just go to your nearest dollar store, they sell bundles of different size hair bands in the hair isle. It's super easy...even for a dude. Or use rubber bands. Everyone has some rubber bands in the back of some drawer in their home. Wrap them around the outside of the pads and bam...easy seal...for me, at least.

If it sounds better with stuff stuffed in your cups, then whatever works for you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back