An equalizer.. to equalize the pre-DAC'd signal
Feb 18, 2011 at 9:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Kiiskinen

100+ Head-Fier
So here's the problem: I use WinAmp with my computer since a) I like the user interface and b) I can't get hotkeys to work in a similar fashion with foobar (can't seem to use my 'special' mouse buttons as hotkeys in foobar), but with the EQ at flat the sound is way too airy, flat and neutral, even for my high and mid loving ear, and when changing WinAmp's own EQ the sound just goes south and fast.

But at flat there's just no bass to speak of -- I guess it has to do with how neutral the amp and dac keep the signal. The sound is properly awesome when using my X7 (BBE enabled) + E7 (bass boost at 0) combo, or even the X7 by itself, but I can't get it to sound similar through my computer setup, which is PC + WinAmp + E7 & E9. I'm not a basshead in the slightest, but it'd be nice to have SOME of it at least, and a way to control the sound. WinAmp's own EQ is not very good, and none of the EQ plugins I've tried seem to match up to the one on X7 -- the only solution I can think of is having another piece of software running in the background that fiddles with the signal before it leaves for my DAC.

Anyone know of such software? I've looked and looked again, but all I keep hearing is 'use the one on your sound card drivers' or 'windows media player has one built in!'. I do have SoundMax, but it's at times worthless and at other times atrocious and obnoxious, so it's not really an option.

Pardon me if the text is a bit 'all over the place' just took a nap.

Feb 18, 2011 at 11:16 AM Post #2 of 9
For software EQ-ing make sure to get a parametric type and high precision.
Aixcoustic Electri-Q is such a thing. You'll need a VST plugin host for Winamp (such as George Young's VST Wrapper)

On the other hand if you feel that your headphones have no bass then perhaps you are listening to the wrong headphones. Food for thought.

Feb 18, 2011 at 11:37 AM Post #3 of 9
George Yohng's VST Wrapper is for foobar2000, Electri-Q has a version for Winamp so you don't need a VST wrapper.

Though I tried it the other day, but couldn't make it work neither on foobar2000 (with the wrapper) or Winamp. It used to work fine with Windows XP, but now I'm using 7 (x64).
On foobar2000 it didn't alter the sound at all, and on Winamp it crashed the player. YMMV.

Feb 18, 2011 at 11:54 AM Post #5 of 9
Thanks a lot for the tip, just installed Electri-Q, and it certainly seems to perform better than the alternatives that I already had tried. Modified the Heavy Guitar 2 preset a bit and the sound is already a lot more like what I want it to be like. Will have to keep tinkering with it though.

Feb 18, 2011 at 12:02 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:
Thanks a lot for the tip, just installed Electri-Q, and it certainly seems to perform better than the alternatives that I already had tried. Modified the Heavy Guitar 2 preset a bit and the sound is already a lot more like what I want it to be like. Will have to keep tinkering with it though.

Windows 7 x64?

Feb 18, 2011 at 3:09 PM Post #8 of 9
The Sonnox EQ Native is great, look into it.

Feb 18, 2011 at 5:27 PM Post #9 of 9

Quote:
Yep. Works without a hitch.

I wonder why it doesn't work for me. Probably driver-related...
Anyway, I don't really need it anymore, so I won't lose my sleep over it.
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back