An EAC for DVDs?
Jan 25, 2008 at 7:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

vYu223

500+ Head-Fier
The best ripper for CD's is EAC. What's the best ripper for DVDs? I'm talking about music AND movies. IS there such a thing as the EAC of DVD rippers?

Thanks in advance.

Jan 25, 2008 at 6:12 PM Post #3 of 8
Mac the Ripper is the choice for mac.

See ya
Steve

Jan 25, 2008 at 7:28 PM Post #4 of 8
I use DVDFab HD Decrypter. Like the name suggests it also can rip HD-DVD and Blu-Ray. Free, simple to use, never had a problem.

I'm not sure the secure mode ripping with error correction that EAC does would be necessary for DVD's.

Jan 26, 2008 at 2:21 AM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by montana girl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I use DVD flick for movies, it's free and easy to use. I don't use it for music though, I use eac for that.

When I say music, I mean music dvd's... I don't think EAC can rip from music dvd's... (I don't mean video on dvd's, I mean just straight audio from dvd's)

Quote:

Originally Posted by WallyWest /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not sure the secure mode ripping with error correction that EAC does would be necessary for DVD's.

Why not? I have several DVD's at home that are a bit scratched up... I want a way to get a bit-perfect copy of the data on there onto my computer, like I can with my audio cd's using EAC.

Jan 26, 2008 at 2:32 AM Post #6 of 8
The problem with the DVDs is that most of the times if not using DL media, you need to compress them to make them fit into the single layer DVDs...

I use Any DVD and Clone DVD with no complaints till now, it do not ahve all the bells and whistles of EAC, but hey they work fine....
wink.gif

Jan 26, 2008 at 7:57 AM Post #7 of 8
So there's no secure ripping for DVD's? Sorry for being insistent.

Jan 26, 2008 at 1:27 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by vYu223 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why not? I have several DVD's at home that are a bit scratched up... I want a way to get a bit-perfect copy of the data on there onto my computer, like I can with my audio cd's using EAC.

I'm just speculating, but it seems that DVD's don't have the exact same issues that CD's do in this regard. I would think that if the copy was not bit perfect that you'd easily see any corrupted data in the form of dropped frames, pixelated images, things like that. I've never seen that on any of my copies. Either the standard error correction is pretty damn good or bit perfect copies are easier to get from DVD's. But to be fair I don't think I've tried to copy a badly scratched DVD.

I don't know enough about the nuts and bolts of the DVD rippers out there to tell you for sure if any of them are using some kind of secure mode. So basically I'm no help at all.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back