An Amplifier or a good mp3 player? Need recommendations!
Oct 8, 2012 at 8:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

hitme987

100+ Head-Fier
Hello,

Ive already got some good IEMs,, I have not got a good audio source, I have a Galaxy Y( A cheap 125$ android) which doesnt have a good audio chip. I use on my dell Inspiron 15 R laptop, but I listen to music on the run mostly..

Im a little bit short on budget, hence can only spend on either an amp or a good music player.

My max budget would be 70$, For amp, I decided on FiiO E11, For music players Im looking on Sansa Clip +, Cowan S9, please suggest more on the music players part since I dont have much idea on it.

Since, I dont have a good knowledge on sources/amps, What could maximise my audio experience? Galaxy Y+FiiO E 11 or Just Cowan S9/Sansa Clip+? I basically use them mostly on my Rockit Sounds R-50 on the run which is my favorite of my IEMs, UE TF 10 for home listening and Meelec S6 for gym.

Any suggestions could be appreciated. Cheers!

Oct 8, 2012 at 4:41 PM Post #2 of 12
Quote:
Hello,

Ive already got some good IEMs,, I have not got a good audio source, I have a Galaxy Y( A cheap 125$ android) which doesnt have a good audio chip. I use on my dell Inspiron 15 R laptop, but I listen to music on the run mostly..

Im a little bit short on budget, hence can only spend on either an amp or a good music player.

My max budget would be 70$, For amp, I decided on FiiO E11, For music players Im looking on Sansa Clip +, Cowan S9, please suggest more on the music players part since I dont have much idea on it.

Since, I dont have a good knowledge on sources/amps, What could maximise my audio experience? Galaxy Y+FiiO E 11 or Just Cowan S9/Sansa Clip+? I basically use them mostly on my Rockit Sounds R-50 on the run which is my favorite of my IEMs, UE TF 10 for home listening and Meelec S6 for gym.

Any suggestions could be appreciated. Cheers!

Though i am not much experienced, but searching the forum for my needs, i learned that a good source is very important, then comes the IEM/Headphones and then finally to further better the sound comes an amp/dac.

In your current setup, the source (i.e. Galaxy Y) is not upto the mark to show you the full potential of ur IEM/Headphones. It will not support Line Out to bypass its internal audio chip and use ur amp/dac audio chip. Also E11 is only an amp, i.e. it will just increase a sound and give you manual controls for bass with very little improvement in sound quality. So first upgrade the source.

I would suggest to go for a good music player, then when u have money next time, buy an amp/dac to use with ur music player to further enhance the sound quality.

Oct 8, 2012 at 8:00 PM Post #3 of 12
Quote:
I've already got some good IEMs,, I have not got a good audio source, I have a Galaxy Y( A cheap 125$ android) which doesnt have a good audio chip. I use on my dell Inspiron 15 R laptop, but I listen to music on the run mostly..
I'm a little bit short on budget, hence can only spend on either an amp or a good music player.

I just got a Sandisk Sansa Clip Zip 4GB with a 8GB SD-micro for $51.
That about the best you can do for good audio quality at the lowest price.

Toy's R Us is selling the Sony E464 8GB for $74, larger screen and way longer battery life, then the Clip Zip.

I really like the Clip Zip, but have been thinking of replacing it with the Sony E464 as my eyes are not as good as they were 20 years ago.

Check the website anythingbutipod.

Oct 9, 2012 at 11:18 AM Post #4 of 12
Thanks for your replies guys. I appreciate it. I will upgrade my source then, Im thinking of FiiO E6 + Sansa Clip + 4GB, would it be ideal to buy it or gather some money and buy FiiO E11+Sansa Clip +? 

I want it mostly for portability, any amp like FiiO E11 which is more portable(like E6)?

Oh wait, I just saw somewhere that Clip+ cant be connected to amps? Some LOD stuff that Im not sure of, can anyone enlighten me?

Oct 9, 2012 at 12:03 PM Post #5 of 12
The AMPs won't help much if DAPs like Sansa Clip+, S9 don't have true line out and you need DAPs with line out like Sony S series walkmen (WM-Port) or iPods (through dock jack not HP jack) and then AMPs will improve the soundqality much better.

Oct 9, 2012 at 12:33 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:
Thanks for your replies guys. I appreciate it. I will upgrade my source then, Im thinking of FiiO E6 + Sansa Clip + 4GB, would it be ideal to buy it or gather some money and buy FiiO E11+Sansa Clip +? 

I want it mostly for portability, any amp like FiiO E11 which is more portable(like E6)?

Oh wait, I just saw somewhere that Clip+ cant be connected to amps? Some LOD stuff that Im not sure of, can anyone enlighten me?

Any portable audio player (or cell phone) can connect to a portable headphone amplifier using the portable audio player's (or cell phone's) headphone jack and connecting it the the amplifier's line input.
That's the way all non Apple portable audio players (and cell phones) connect to portable headphone amplifiers.
Apple portable audio players (and iPhones) come with a 30-pin LOD port, the LOD port allows the analog audio signal to bypass the apple's headphone amplifier, providing a slightly cleaner analog audio signal to the headphone amplifier.
Apple iPods and iPhones can still connect headphone jack to amplifier input, but using LOD is preferred.
I can easy use my Clip Zip connected straight to my headphones, sometimes I'm in the mood for using my E6, but I do not have to use the E6.
I started out using my Sony MDR-V6 60-Ohm headphones, now I use my JVC HA-S500-Z 32-Ohm headphones.

You might look into the Sony E series, they come with a larger screen and longer battery life then the Clip Zip or Clip+
The Sony cost E series is $75 (8GB) to $106 (16GB), where as the Clip Zip is $40 to $55.

Oct 11, 2012 at 11:39 AM Post #7 of 12
Thanks for your suggestions ZARIM and PurpleAngel and for clearing up my doubts!

I closed my options on Sansa Clip+ and Sansa Fuze +, Ive heard from some threads that fuze+ SQ isnt that good compared to clip+? I can see a 2$ difference in their refurbishes, which one do you guys prefer to go for? Fuze+ looks to have a decent screen with good controls and stylish looks, but SQ is my main priority..

Oct 11, 2012 at 11:54 AM Post #8 of 12
Quote:
Thanks for your suggestions ZARIM and PurpleAngel and for clearing up my doubts!

I closed my options on Sansa Clip+ and Sansa Fuze +, Ive heard from some threads that fuze+ SQ isnt that good compared to clip+? I can see a 2$ difference in their refurbishes, which one do you guys prefer to go for? Fuze+ looks to have a decent screen with good controls and stylish looks, but SQ is my main priority..

I was going to get the Fuse+, but was told the control buttons are not that good.

Oct 11, 2012 at 1:45 PM Post #10 of 12
Hello i would like to suggest HISOUND's new Nova player. The player is gonna retail at 149 but if you preorder it now you can get it for $80. It's supposed to have a very competent decoder and pretty power amplifier built in. More info on this page.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/631142/favrite-price-promotion-for-hisound-s-upcoming-new-nova-player#post_8766226

Oct 11, 2012 at 1:51 PM Post #11 of 12
Oct 27, 2012 at 4:23 PM Post #12 of 12
Thanks for all of your suggestions guys, I got a Sansa Clip Zip 8 GB on amazon gold box deals for 44$.

I cant really say how these boosted the SQ, the boost is a LOT when sourced with my phone or inspiron 15R. The detailing of sound is a lot improved. TF10 particularly sounds so good, mids are crystal clear, clarity is sky rocked!

Its light, controls are good, just rockboxed my clip zip and now song exploring is much more fast.

Thanks again for spreading your knowledge around!!! Appreciate all of your comments!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back