An amp with some impact?
Jun 19, 2006 at 3:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Predator88

100+ Head-Fier
Well I'm not necessarily in the market right now for an amp but I probably will be in a few months. I currently use MS1s (might be upping to some RS2s come next semester). Basically I want to know what amp will really bring out some impact in the bass department. Ideally I wouldn't want to spend over $300 and am willing to consider a DIY project.

Jun 19, 2006 at 6:02 AM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by recstar24
for the $300 price point the Gilmore lite is hard to beat. Its a home amp with external wall wart. Bass slam and impact is what the gilmore lite is all about

I second Gilmore Lite. It's awesome with Grado lines of phone.

Jun 19, 2006 at 12:21 PM Post #5 of 8
The XCAN v3 also sounds great with Grados, and warms the SS sound a bit with the magic of tubes, which can otherwise sound a bit too bright and analytical.

GF2

Jun 19, 2006 at 12:39 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gradofan2
The XCAN v3 also sounds great with Grados, and warms the SS sound a bit with the magic of tubes, which can otherwise sound a bit too bright and analytical.

GF2

Second that.
To me the RS1 sounded better from my X-can v3 than from the RA1 for shure. Added bonus for X-can is that you can tune the sound to your liking very easily with tube rolling. There are plenty good sounding alternatives for the provided stock tubes available (and not too expensive either).

Jun 19, 2006 at 1:01 PM Post #7 of 8
get a Meier Corda HeadFive when it's available.

I recieved mine today. just out of the box, it's very impressive~~~~~
biggrin.gif

I think it'll be hard to find a worthy opponent to headfive in this price range
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back