An AMP with pre-AMP, do I need it?
Aug 3, 2008 at 9:52 AM Post #2 of 5
The preamp is there so you can use the headphone amp or DAC directly into a power amp, without a separate preamp. You only need it if you have this purpose.

Tim

Aug 3, 2008 at 2:58 PM Post #3 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadLover /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I see that sometimes the amp or DAC comes with a pre-AMP (with higher cost to)
So
What is it for? and do I need it?

I know what is a pre-amp, just not sure what benefit does it provide me

The output from a pre-amp DAC to a power amp is far superior than any additional pre-amp in the food chain, no matter how much that pre-amp has cost you.
Right now I am looking for the screws of the wooden sides of my reasonably expensive pre-amp. Once I find them I can then sell my pre-amp since I haven't had any reason to use it since I plugged all my digital stuff into my DAC.

Aug 4, 2008 at 3:06 PM Post #4 of 5
I am currently using a DAC+Preamp made by April Music, the Stello DP200. Another advantage of using a combined DAC+Preamp is that you do not have to be worried of which interconnects to use between your DAC and Preamp since they are internally combined to bring you the most optimal audio performance.

Aug 4, 2008 at 6:31 PM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by StanleyB1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The output from a pre-amp DAC to a power amp is far superior than any additional pre-amp in the food chain, no matter how much that pre-amp has cost you.

Huh? I'm confused on this... you're saying that a bargain basement, noisy as hell pre-amp on a DAC is better than a high quality pre-amp that happens to be a separate? Are you one of those people who thinks a pre-amp can't make a major difference in sound quality?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back